Running Nitto NT555R extreme drag radials - love 'em!

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
When I put in the Dana 60 the first year I put on Pacer wheels and have been running BFG Radial TA in P295/50R15 in the rear because they had the size I wanted and they looked good. I smoke the tires a lot and they hold up the whole season, and usually two seasons. They don't hook up though, and they always took so much weight I had to static balance them. Well over 6 oz. per wheel. I always thought it was the wheels because it never mattered when I replaced the tires, it always took a ton of weight. Since I regularly take it over 100 mph and over 120 mph a lot, I decided to go with a higher speed rated tire this year. I went with a Nitto NT555R Extreme drag radial in P275/60R15V in the rear and P205/55R15V Nitto NT450 in the front . They will hook better for sure and I like the looks, even though I would rather have raised white letters. When I balanced them, neither wheel took more than 2 oz. total. The car rides smoother with less shaking. All along I blamed the wheels and it was the tires all along. Now to see how long they last.

View attachment Nitto NT555R.jpg

View attachment Nitto NT555R 1.jpg

Im glad that you like them, i have 325/50/15 for my dart and was a little concerned about it hooking

Only had them out twice this year so far. Snow is forecast again today. They will be my daily drivers. I rum Some Mickey ET Streets at the track.

I put the same tires on the cuda last year. Fine on the street, but gave me a wheel hop problem on the track that I didn't have with my old wrinkle wall slicks. I think the soft sidewalls of the slicks were absorbing the shock. I tried changing to a different set of SS springs but it actually got worse. This year I am installing cal tracs, and hopefully that will cure the problem.

I put the same tires on the cuda last year. Fine on the street, but gave me a wheel hop problem on the track that I didn't have with my old wrinkle wall slicks. I think the soft sidewalls of the slicks were absorbing the shock. I tried changing to a different set of SS springs but it actually got worse. This year I am installing cal tracs, and hopefully that will cure the problem.

I love my Nitto Drag Radials too. I had to install a traction device with my SS springs to squash the wheel hop, but once installed they hooked way harder.

I tried the Caltracs with split mono leafs, but they were noisy and made the car miserable to drive on the street, so I sold them. Caltracs are great on a smooth track though.

Wish they had these in a 15 inch wheel sigh! Oh wow those are 15! I thought they started at 17!

Wish they had these in a 15 inch wheel sigh! Oh wow those are 15! I thought they started at 17!

That's why I went with the particular Nitto tires I chose. They were available in the size I wanted.

To the wheel hop guys, I have only burned out on these once when leaving the shop. I did a rolling burnout at about 20 mph and got no hop at all. It was very similar to my old BFG's. I have always run Caltracs and mono leafs in this car and never had any issues. I don't hook up on anything on the street, but on the track I won't start to spin until the fifth or sixth run. As the track gets more use and less sticky I might break free in first and in later runs when I hit second. Never ever had hop at any time.

I love my Nitto Drag Radials too. I had to install a traction device with my SS springs to squash the wheel hop, but once installed they hooked way harder.

I tried the Caltracs with split mono leafs, but they were noisy and made the car miserable to drive on the street, so I sold them. Caltracs are great on a smooth track though.

I bought a used set of cal tracs, so I am going to try them. Just curious as to what you ended up using.

275/40/20 on all four corners of my 2010 srt8 challenger. I love the tires. People will always remark that they are no good in the rain. I look back in their eyes and say, " I have a minivan I drive in the rain. I have a 4 car garage. My toys never ever get wet. Then just smile. On my 67 fish I run 275/60/15 Mickey et street. With a 225/60/15 on the front. 27" tall. Rolled the front fender a little. The nittos are a great street tire. Last about 8000 miles, of course that depends on your right foot.

I bought a used set of cal tracs, so I am going to try them. Just curious as to what you ended up using.

I added a 1" lowering block, which I feel contributed to the wheel hop on the 2 passenger side 2800 lbs SS springs I'm running now. I added a pair of fitted slapper bars which eliminated the wheel hop and let the car hook up hard. Pinion snubbers and Caltracs ride way to harsh on the street for me.

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 391
275/40/20 on all four corners of my 2010 srt8 challenger. I love the tires. People will always remark that they are no good in the rain. I look back in their eyes and say, " I have a minivan I drive in the rain. I have a 4 car garage. My toys never ever get wet. Then just smile. On my 67 fish I run 275/60/15 Mickey et street. With a 225/60/15 on the front. 27" tall. Rolled the front fender a little. The nittos are a great street tire. Last about 8000 miles, of course that depends on your right foot.

Mine only get wet if the weather guys screw up the forecast, so about four times a year I get caught in rain. I'm glad to see 8000 miles. I burn out a lot, but run different tires at the track, so 8000 miles a year is a little more than I normally drive. If I got a year out of these tires I was going to call it a win.

-
Back