Running rough and dies at low idle

-

mnmopar

Reaction score
Hi all,

With the help of some great FABO members, I have been trouble shooting my charging problems in my 64 Valiant convert with a 80's 318 for the past couple weeks. I Replaced everything that cold be replaced only to find a bad series of splices in the field wire connection to the voltage regulator as the chief cause. Now I'm knocking down 13-14.5 volts at the battery and voltmeter at even at low idle.

Everything seemed fine. Then she started to run rough and die at low idle. Seems like she gets starved. Seems like there's plenty or fuel, she runs strong at high revs but let her get down and she coughs to a stop. To get her going again I have to floor the gas pedal and crank for a good 10 to 15 seconds.

To my knowledge I didn't touch anything else in the car except things connected to the charging issue.

With Mopars in the Park coming this weekend, I'm getting desperate to get her going. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like dirt in the carb idle circuit. Or if it has EGR, the valve is stuck open.
Flooring the gas pedal is an unloading procedure. Does the choke pull off work? Does the car run well after warmed up?

Sounds like dirt in the carb idle circuit. Or if it has EGR, the valve is stuck open.
Flooring the gas pedal is an unloading procedure. Does the choke pull off work? Does the car run well after warmed up?

I agree
Sounds like starving for fuel. Did you check the normal, fuel filter, pump etc.

Sorry I forgot to mention edelbrock 1406 w/electric choke that seems to have an excess of fuel.

It continues to die even after warm up. Everytime I've had the air cleaner off the choke has been wide open. Checked the rotor, cap and a couple of plugs. All look clean. No EGR that I'm aware of.

How would I check the carb idle circuit?

Thanks!

Will it start right back up every time?
What is the exact starting procedure used after it stalls?
For example, after stall ( when warm ) do you have to hold it wide open it for an extended period of time while cranking, or does it start if you pump the pedal a couple of times then crank with throttle closed?
Do you have an electric fuel pump installed?
Can you keep it running with little shots from a can of carb cleaner?

Could be too much fuel or too little depending on above answers.

"after stall ( when warm ) do you have to hold it wide open it for an extended period of time while cranking"

Just exactly the above. when I look down the throat I can see fuel... It sounds like a stuck needle to me, but a brand new edelbrock 1406 and matching mechanical fuel pump.

ok, it's loading up at idle and stalling and holding the thing WFO is clearing the flood condition.
You said the carb is new, BUT did you go through it before you installed it? I know that's kind of a dumb question, but I had to set the float level and pump shot on my Holley right out of the box.

So, not too many things can cause flooding at idle...
1. float level too high
2. fuel pressure too high
3. stuck open needle
4. sunk float ( but you said it was a new carb so this is almost certainly out )

Do you see fuel in the throat above the butterflies when idling and throttle closed?

Do you see fuel in the throat above the butterflies when idling and throttle closed?

Lots... The carb is not totally new, I have maybe a couple hundred on it. I had it out the day before this started and it ran great for 30 or so miles... Next time I went to start, there it is. I'm thinking your #3 sounds right.

yeah, sounds like it's blowing fuel out the boosters. I think you're on the right track. If it was running fine, then not with no adjustments, it almost has to be stuck needle or partially stuck. Funny that the manual for that carb actually has a "procedure" for fixing a sticking needle..."tap the side of the carb with a leather mallet"....who owns a leather mallet anyway

These carbs are sensitive to high fuel pressure, and will puke fuel because needle valve won’t stop the flow. Check fuel pressure.

"tap the side of the carb with a leather mallet"....

I keep one in my suede, velvet lined, sequined toolbag (with the extended strap). Couple raps on the side with my craftsman and she was good as new.

As a side note, when I bought the carb I bought a "matched" eddy fuel pump. Says in the instruction "no regulator required". Why does that make me feel like I need one?

Thanks all!

-
Back