rust removal chemicals

-

vitamindart

Reaction score
ok i have a few panels that where sand blasted and not sealed
right away now they have some flash rust on them.
don't really want to re blast them. i am wondering if anyone has had luck
with any of the spray on rust removal chemicals? eastwood ect?

I've read that red wine vinegar works (albeit slowly) for items immersed in a bath of it. I wonder if one could soak some towels, and maybe cover with a sheet of plastic to keep it from evaporating. Might not work for every application, but it sure is inexpensive.

evaporust, it works excellent and its not chemical based/toxic so it will not harm anything

Vitamindart

If the flash rust is not to bad, you could probably use some 3M pads and scuff it of.
Are these panels under, or on the outside of the body,??.
Hers is a site I get lots of good info off, as far as body work, and painting. it is autobodystore.com

barracudadave67 aka Dave C.

I would recommend sanding it with 80 grit and then using Duponts Metal prep and a scotch brite pad and then washing it and hitting it with some dupont etch-prime and it will be fine. I've done that on everthing so far on my 65 Cuda and no problems. A little pricey but well worth it.
Hope this helps.

yeah unfortunetly its patchey on the whole car. had it all blasted and ready to prime was fine for a couple days then i backed the truck in the driveway close to the door and a few hours later bam! looked terrible..

oh and i coated it with POR metal ready an hr after it happened, and let it sit on there
now there are orange spots and chalky white patches. dont think it did any good.

evaporust habor freight sells it pretty good stuff..also heard the vinegar works never tried it ..mike

-
Back