Rust Removal

-

SWETPT

Reaction score
Just got a bumper jack off of EBay. Has some rust on the base and rachet. going to powder paint them, whats a good way to remove the rust in the hard to reach areas. Any ideas (VINIGER, BAKING SODA, COKE ?)

Media blasting is the ONLY way to prep anything for powder coating. The metal needs "tooth" for the powder to adhere properly and last for a long time (especially on something as use-intensive as a jack), and any kind of home remedy type of chemical application is not going to be enough.

Media blasting is the ONLY way to prep anything for powder coating. The metal needs "tooth" for the powder to adhere properly and last for a long time (especially on something as use-intensive as a jack), and any kind of home remedy type of chemical application is not going to be enough.

You go there girl! Thank You for the great info!

If a part is going to be painted rather than powder coated, you can remove rust with phosphate rust remover (mild acid) from Home Depot. It is in the paint department and comes in 1 gallon jugs. It's inexpensive and lasts forever. I bought 3 gallons when I did the gold car, and I still have 2 gallons left. Just remove all the paint, grease etc from the part you're prepping, then find a suitably shaped "pan" to soak the part in. Depending on the level of rust present on the part, it will take anywhere from 3 or 4 minutes for flash rust to 45 minutes for more heavy stuff.
Once the part is rust free, rinse it off with water and dry it with a towel or compressed air, then prime and paint.
Stuff works great. I can't get the exact name from my stuff because the labels fell off the jugs, but if you find the mineral spirits and paint thinners at HD, this stuff is on the same shelf.

Hope this helps someone.

George

-
Back