Rust repair of a 1978 D100 truck.

-

Tnplumber

Reaction score
I have always wanted to learn to do paint and body work. When I bought this 1978 Dodge D100 last year, I knew it was a good candidate to practice on and get some confidence. This has been an awesome daily driver. I have drove it to work 44 miles round trip, five days a week, and it has never let me down. Here are some cell phone before pics.

It had some rust through at the right rear bed side panel. I bought some patch panels and my first welder a Hobart 187 and began practicing my welding. After to few days of practice, I was ready.

Attachments

• 2012-06-08 22.36.36.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 245
  • 2012-06-08 22.37.35.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 236
Here are some pics, with my swap meet grill in place. I also found this nice hood at pull-a-part, it was stripped and painted. It still needs to be wet and buffed, in this pic.
View attachment mini-painted truck 001.JPG
This is before I wet sanded it with 1500 grit.
View attachment mini-painted truck 002.JPG
This is after polishing with rubbing compound.
View attachment mini-IMAG0043.jpg
The door wasn't painted just the front fender and bedside on the passenger side, look how good the paint matches the 34 year old paint on door! I am very happy with the results. My goal was for the repairs to blend in with the rest of the truck, so I didn't buff the paint to much. I have about 60 hours in the body to this point. My bed side repair isn't perfect, but I am happy with the results. It was a 100 footer, now it is a 10 footer, lol.

Keep up the good work!
My dad still has his 78 W-150 that he bought new.
The truck has 240,000 miles on it and it will not die.
His has a 360 4-speed 3.55 sure grip rear.

great job scott! glad to see your working away at it...did you check your steering box and frame yet?

Looks great! I LOVE THE 187! I use it on everything and lay beads like a machine now! Once you get used to it you love welding. I find that low wire speed does nice welds instead of more heat. For instance I would probably do heat setting 1 with the bed panel and around 28 on the wire setting. I'm not sure if your settings are the same as mine for the new 187. If you need any odds and ends for the 1977 let me know. I've had several and drive one right now. So extra parts are around!

Looks great! I LOVE THE 187! I use it on everything and lay beads like a machine now! Once you get used to it you love welding. I find that low wire speed does nice welds instead of more heat. For instance I would probably do heat setting 1 with the bed panel and around 28 on the wire setting. I'm not sure if your settings are the same as mine for the new 187. If you need any odds and ends for the 1977 let me know. I've had several and drive one right now.So extra parts are around!

Thanks for all the kind words, I really like my 187 too.

I love them old trucks. That's the same color as my 83.

-
Back