Rust Repair

-

LJS30

Reaction score
Guys when exactly is a body part considered a lost cause? What type of rust is considered a death sentence for a car?

Any kind of rust is an eventual death sentence. All rust must be removed by either sanding (for surface rust) or cut out (if perforated rust).

In a unibody, usually when the "frame is rusted out". Anything can be restored, given enough time, materials and tools. Gotta weigh the car's condition vs. your skills, bank roll and parts available.

lol,,,no such thing as "can't be fixed". Mine had the outer rockers, inner rockers, both sets of pans,torsion mounts,front frames from torsion mounts to a-frames, rear frame 15" from bumper,rear quarters,trunk extensions,all steel from rear pan to the spring hangers,top of inner fenders,large chunks of fire wall and parts of the door jam area all replaced and im sure I'll find more before I'm done ( I'm a sucker for punishment I guess )

lol ,,yup a good ole canadian car eh! driven by a little ole lady for 36 years through all that salt.

Let's see some photos Jims71Duster!

My '69 Valiant has a front frame transplant (that includes the torsion bar crossmember), front floor pans, middle floor pans, rear floor pans and rear seat section. Transmission hump is new, partial inner rockers, front section of rear frame rails and probably will get lots of new metal at the rear soon too. Valuable car? No. Cool car? YES!

The death sentence is for your wallet, the car can always be fixed :toothy7:

I don't wanna hyjack his thread lol i posted pics in members restorations

LJS30--> I asked my buddy about this question and he said "Tell the guy to ask his wife, she'll know." hahaha...

My rule of thumb - if it hasn't folded in half - it is saveable.

All I had to do were front floor pans in my 73 Duster, but once I had those out, I could see that it wouldn't be the end to half to replace the torsion bar crossmember, rear pans, etc. http://www.autorust.com/ is your friend :)

Good luck on your decision

Mister Mopar said:
My rule of thumb - if it hasn't folded in half - it is saveable.

All I had to do were front floor pans in my 73 Duster, but once I had those out, I could see that it wouldn't be the end to half to replace the torsion bar crossmember, rear pans, etc. http://www.autorust.com/ is your friend :)

Good luck on your decision

just did my right torsion mount today as a matter of a factly

Don't you think it's worth the extra trouble to just replace the whole torsion bar crossmember than patch it with a patch piece? I guess it depends how badly it's rusted out and collapsed. The two cars I've helped replace it on were very very bad, too bad to just patch I think.

65s said:
Don't you think it's worth the extra trouble to just replace the whole torsion bar crossmember than patch it with a patch piece? I guess it depends how badly it's rusted out and collapsed. The two cars I've helped replace it on were very very bad, too bad to just patch I think.

don't think I've ever heard of someone patching one,lol most people don't even check em much until the torsion bar twists the socket right outa the mount. If you where refering to mister mopars thread I think he spelt half but ment have,,could be wrong tho but thats how I took it

-
Back