rust suspended animation?

-

jim in seattle

Reaction score
I have some surface rust- none of it is deep enough to even get a piece off of- you can scrape at it and sand it and not get any to come off- it is all very very superficail- but it IS there. I am slowly working on the car- and concentrating on the engine, suspension, safety issues, etc. I want to drive the car while I do this both for fun and to help shake out the issues. Here is the NW, it rains pretty much every day. Is there a way to "seal" or slow down this rust until I have the time and money to do a proper paint job? (8-12 months from now). I really don't want to drive a car around with primer spots all over it- cosmetically I don't mind the rust as is, but I also do not want to cause more damage by ignoring something I should take care of. I am especially concerned about the area at the base of the rear window where water may collect. Could I wax over it, maybe seal it somehow just to get me by? Or am I dreaming?

Go to your local auto paint supply store and pick up a gallon of "GEM". Just ask, they will know. Fill a squirt bottle and apply directly to the affected surfaces. Try no to run it! It will stain whats left of the paint. You may need to reapply every 2-3 months but it works. 2 or 3 light coats will do.

Thats what the bottom of my 1/4's looked like! Much worse once I stripped it to bare metal. Now I am waiting on AMD to repop the trunk extensions. The center of the small rust spots were like small pinholes. Once I cut the lower rear 1/4s, all the damn factory seamsealer was the cause.

-
Back