Rust under factory paint

-

MoparMic

Reaction score
Started sanding of what was left after i stripped the paint off with stripper when i got to bare metal im finding alot of rust under the old primer i hit one part of it pretty hard and its still there im not sure if i can sand it away any advice?

Attachments

• 2012-06-30_10-05-27_93.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 258
I'm not sure if you can get Wurth products in the USA, but they have a product called "rust converter" and it will convert the rust to an inert material that can be painted over.
There are other rust converter products on the market but from everything I've heard and read the wurth product is the best.

That's them but I don't the rust converter listed.
Here's a pic of the product
DSCF0993.jpg

Doupont makes a metal conditioner I believe the part # is 5717s and 18? It is a two step system. It is a acid etch and it remove all the rust. The second part is a nuetralizer. I have use this on many sun baked and blistered roof that started to rust ( did my fairlane and had no issues). Then apply a good quality self etching primer. But that is just my 2 cents.

Thanks
James From
PST Marketing
1-800-247-2288
Ext 316

images

Works just as well, for $5 a can. Sorry to tell you, metal like that eventually need to be cut out and replaced.

...You can also go down to your local Ace Hardware and pick up a quart bottle of Ospho. Apply it, wipe off the excess and let dry. It will convert surface rust to an inert black phosphate. Scuff that and apply some epoxy primer - you'll be fine.

The rust mort does do a good job but to remove that to see what's really there
I would spot blast it

Its just on the surface i sent the pics to a very reputable car restoration shop they told me most old cars have rust patches under the factory paint they gave the same advice as you guys did with the rust convertor they use por 15s metal prep and ready its like ospho but you only have to leave it on for 30 min. it leaves a zinc coating over the metal that they told me to sand away then put etch primer or epoxy primer over it i finished it up yesturday it seems to have worked good I will let you know if the primer falls of LOL

Theres a good chance and welded seems will rust if you do that. Treat whats there, Epoxy prime, 2K. call it a day.

-
Back