RV2 Clutch Slipping

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Okay so here is what is happening and what I believe the issue to be. When I am at a idle, the RPMs are low, if the AC clutch engages it squeels intermittenatly. I thought it was the bearing but I then realized it does NOT happen ALL the time. I can hear at regular running RPMs the clutch slips as it engages but just barely.

So I am thinking maybe the surface of the clutch is causing the problem. I had it apart the other day and cleaned it pretty well put it back together and it seems to work a bit better. My question is can I take it back apart and make sure ALL surfaces are clean and then use a red scuff pad and rough up the surface or is that a bad idea?

Yep, check the belt. If that is ok, check the voltage at the clutch, while it is engaged and at idle. Should be at least 12.8 volts. If that is ok, you may need to get the clutch surfaces resurfaced.

+1 on voltage.
Too much refrigerant or oil may create too much load. Wear can be a factor, might be time for a new one.

I put in 10oz of Oil and 22-24 ounces of R134. I will double check the voltage. If it is not 12.8 volts what are my options?

Did you add the oil to the compressor? did you remove the old oil? With an RV-2 compressor you should remove the mineral (R-12) oil, and add the correct amount (10-11 oz) of pag oil to the compressor. Depending on what vehicle you are working on, the amount of R-134a should be around 26-32oz.
Time to put a set of pressure gauges on the system and check high side pressure. Should not be over 275 lbs, and closer to 200-225 would be better. Might need to change the condenser to a parrallel flow item, if the head pressure is too high.

If the voltage is too low, you need to find the high resistance in the circuit.

I did add the oil to the compressor through the fitting on the passenger side. I removed the old oil first. It is a 65 Barracuda but the system is not stock. The condenser is a parallel universal.

I am going this weekend to pick up some gauges and verify. I feel this is probably the most likely issue. I did check the voltage and it looked good.

Good news figured it out. It was a two part issue. Yes the belt is slightly to long and I am not getting good tension but the clutch was FILTHY I pulled it off wiped it down with brake cleaner till the towel came off clean then I took 60 grit and scuffed both surfaces to clean the burns off then wiped again with cleaner and put it back together. WAY better and much more consistent.

I am going to get a shorter belt tomorrow I am think an inch and half to 2 inches. I have about half an inch of play in the tensioned belt and I am at the end of the adjustment. and about 2 inches in the adjusted so 1.5-2 inches would be good I think.

-
Back