?s for Harley Davidson owners/riders

-

1970Duster

Reaction score
Ok I've owned quite few motorcycles mainly sportbikes but looking to buy a HD Vrod, so my question is how is the ride quality? any major problems? Do they handle corners better then the regular Harleys? Is there mods that are really needed (say better seat, forward pegs, exhaust, etc...)? Any info would be great! Thanks in advance.

I rode one once.....handled ok, stopped good.....but had no go.....my old 1981 Honda CB900F Bol'dor went way harder......no, my Honda didn't have a big bore kit or anything like that.

By no go do you mean off the line or mid range power?

Harley's come out meaning to be modified/accessorized to sell more "stuff"; after all, HD really stands for Hundred Dollars which if you can get out of the Harley dealer without spending that per visit then you are a better man than I Gunga Davidson.

Yeah I know all about that hundreds of dollars thing buying parts for my Ducati has the same problem but the ride is worth it every time!

A guy at work has a V-Rod and loves it. Problem with them is that they are one-of-a-kind in the Harley line, so there's very little parts interchangeability, if any, and not a lot in the aftermarket, os whatever you do to customize it, a couple hundred other people have probably also done. I haven't ridden a V-rad, but judging by the design and tire width, I'd say that a Sportster will almost definitely handle much better in the curves, if twisties are your thing. Forget all that crap about Sportsters being "girls bikes." That mentality comes from posers who don't know any better and think that 20 grand and 20 miles makes them a biker.

I have a 2008 Night Rod Special that I bought new as a leftover last year. I love it. It has plenty of power for me, and my other bike is a R1. It's the fastest of the Harleys and doesn't have any of the cooling issues like some the aircooled ones on hot days. The ride is very comfortable. The Night rod special and the muscle are picky about rider height so it kinda depends on how tall you are. There is actually a pretty decent amount of customization available if you are willing to spend the money. I'm very happy with mine and wouldn't trade it for about any of the other bikes I looked at. It handles well, has good power, and revs past 8 grand. What more could you want in a cruiser. It always gets a lot of questions and compliments.

well, from going to a modern day sports bike to a big fat heavy pig, you'll notice worse handling and braking, loss of power and exceleration, not being able to idle in 100 degree weather at a stoplight without overheating, much heavier bike and harder to maneuver, and looking like a grungy old annoying man who revs his harley up everywhere he goes to try and be noticed and look cool. sorry man, i just hate harleys, over priced, fork leaking, never run right, pieces of ****...

well, from going to a modern day sports bike to a big fat heavy pig, you'll notice worse handling and braking, loss of power and exceleration, not being able to idle in 100 degree weather at a stoplight without overheating, much heavier bike and harder to maneuver, and looking like a grungy old annoying man who revs his harley up everywhere he goes to try and be noticed and look cool. sorry man, i just hate harleys, over priced, fork leaking, never run right, pieces of ****...

He's looking at a V-rod; they are water cooled, so don't have the overheating problems

Ive had 3 bikes. two of them Harleys. People say it's BS and hype but there is somthing to be said for the history and the passion. I loved my superglide and yes you can spend a bundle on them. WORTH IT. My buddy just bought a Vrod (night rod). He is in love with this bike and BTW thru 1st and 2nd it will smoke just about anything.

He's looking at a V-rod; they are water cooled, so don't have the overheating problems

oh okay. got it. i don't try to be so negative towards harleys, i just live right in the middle of harley central, holster california. (RIGHT ON MAIN STREET) where we have biker rally each year, and thousands of harley riders pass by, revving there engines, blocking the road, riding like dumb *****, having music blasted, and revving more all day and all night....getting gas, staying at the pumps, revving there engine all crazy........yes, i kno, i see you, i hear you, yea, u have a harley....yea, you're so cool...lol

I have been riding Harley's for about 15 years now, current bike is a 2005 Electra Glide Standard...... 62,000 miles on it. Im not sure where the over heating issue comes from there talking about, I have been all over the place with this one, out west in 110 degree temp....down to Daytona, and into the Smoky Mt. once rode 19 hours straight from Oklahoma City to Indiana.. .with no problems.
I have ridden a V-Rod for a test ride, couple of hours, I was on a street bike version ( pegs to the rear) I really liked the bike, would have rather been on the one with the forward controls, (they have them both ways) but it was there and ready to go. I thought it handled well and had plenty of power. And I had a lot of fun on it. A friend at work has a V-Rod, he rides it long distances all the time, he likes his a lot. Obviously your not looking to keep up with the rice rocket crowd, V-Rods are way faster than my bike, but those Busa's and such are just stupid fast. My sons both have 600's ...Honda RR, and a GXR, I take them out every now and then..... oh they are fun, but I will take my slow HD any day over how uncomfortable those things are... then again Im not 20 anymore.

oh okay. got it. i don't try to be so negative towards harleys, i just live right in the middle of harley central, holster california. (RIGHT ON MAIN STREET) where we have biker rally each year, and thousands of harley riders pass by, revving there engines, blocking the road, riding like dumb *****, having music blasted, and revving more all day and all night....getting gas, staying at the pumps, revving there engine all crazy........yes, i kno, i see you, i hear you, yea, u have a harley....yea, you're so cool...lol
I know what you're talking about there. Me and a few friends rode are bike through Sturgis and boy that was a mistake!!! Bunch of A-holes throwin **** at us simply because of the makers of our bikes. Yes I know HD are not cheap, but guess neither is my Ducati :violent2:

I have been riding Harley's for about 15 years now, current bike is a 2005 Electra Glide Standard...... 62,000 miles on it. Im not sure where the over heating issue comes from there talking about, I have been all over the place with this one, out west in 110 degree temp....down to Daytona, and into the Smoky Mt. once rode 19 hours straight from Oklahoma City to Indiana.. .with no problems.
I have ridden a V-Rod for a test ride, couple of hours, I was on a street bike version ( pegs to the rear) I really liked the bike, would have rather been on the one with the forward controls, (they have them both ways) but it was there and ready to go. I thought it handled well and had plenty of power. And I had a lot of fun on it. A friend at work has a V-Rod, he rides it long distances all the time, he likes his a lot. Obviously your not looking to keep up with the rice rocket crowd, V-Rods are way faster than my bike, but those Busa's and such are just stupid fast. My sons both have 600's ...Honda RR, and a GXR, I take them out every now and then..... oh they are fun, but I will take my slow HD any day over how uncomfortable those things are... then again Im not 20 anymore.
Yea I get that sportbikes are not the easiest on the rider but the ride is worth it, well each time I fire up my Ducati it is! That being said I'm really looking at the V-Rod because while it is a crusier it still doesn't feel like one.

-
Back