S.O.S leaf spring shackles HELP

-

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
I am having an impossible time installing new leaf spring shackles on my '75 Scamp. I have brand new XHD Springs, everything is tight (other than shackles) I removed the 1"-3" adjustable shackles and I can't get these new Mancini's shackles on.
Nuts out? nuts in? shackle mount off? shackle mount on?
I'm in the nineth circle of hell!

Attach both front and rear brackets and shackels with nuts pointing outward. BE CAREFUL Mancini shackels cannot take 30 ft lbs of torque like service manual says. Just snug them or they will break.

Then put the front of the spring into the frame and loosely start all four nuts with washers in place. Then lift the rear of the spring to the back and twist the bracket so it fits flush with the rear frame where it mounts and then install the two bolts. Then torque the front and rear bolts to spec. I believe 30 or 35 ft lbs. Remember not to tighten the shackel nuts too much or they will break. I always buy a spare set of shackels jic.

So I should loosen and remove the front hanger bolts?
Like I said, everything is on the car snug. Should I loosen U-bolts too?
Should the car be on the ground or on stands? Stands under frame if jacked up, not under rear end housing, right?

Yes.

Jack up the car and place stands under the frame. Then place some under the axle.

Then loosen the u bolts, front and rear hanger bolts and nuts.

Put front hanger bracket on front of new leaf spring paying attention to which direction the nut and bolt head came off of the original srping for that side. Same with the old shackle nuts - see which side the nuts go on the original springs. Then put the rear shackle bracket on the new spring and tighten the nuts for the shackel. Like I said before be careful tightening those nuts - they can't take 30 ft*lbs of torque. Placing jacks under the axle allows you to drop the springs one at a time without removing the axle.

Then when the front hanger bracket and rear shackle and bracket are on the new spring, put the spring back on the car. Put the front hanger in first and hand start all four of the nuts (don't forget the washers) a few turns to keep them from falling off. Then raise the rear of the spring so the shackle and bracket are flush with the rear mounting pad for the shackle bracket (you may need to twist it with a pair of pliers or combination wrench so it will line up correctly. Then put the two mounting bolts in the rear shackle bracket and then go torque the front and rear brackets to spec (I believe 30 ft*lb by memory - verify with wervice manual). Then tighten u bolts to spec.

Then repeat for other side spring.

Good Luck!

i had to use a drill and open the hole to get the shackles to fit... i think 1/2"... their shackles are S**T... had mine break the threaded part off before i even snugged them with an open end wrench... and then the stud spun in the plate and ruined the shackle... again S**T!...

i just used 1/4" plate and made my own with nylocks...

EDIT: you guys are doing service manual tips which is great but its not the issue... the bushings they sell you DONT FIT... i had to turn mine down in a lathe and drill in the inner hole out... and no they were not B Body bushings... just over large A body ones...

WHEW! Done!

Wow, what a pain in the balls. I loosened everything, and I still had to pry down on the rear of the spring. I had to get my wife in on the action (which she was not particularly happy about). These shackles need about another 1/4" of thread...

Thanks fellas, I appreciate the help!!!

-
Back