s/s leaf spring question

-

fcm42000

Banned
Reaction score
i have a 69 dart that was originally a slant six. i am putting the super stock springs in it and it seems like the front bushing bolt hole is to big for the original bolt. when i put it in it wobbles around a little. is this normal? do i just tighten it down real good?

thanks,
frank

I think the super stock springs use a larger bolt! You don't just want to tighten it up. I think you have to drill out the mounts and get a larger bolt. Like I said.....I think! Jared

I came across this same issue when I installed my XHD leaf springs earlier this month and asked the same question. There should be no play. Then I remembered reading a thread on here about taking a pop/beer can, cutting it, and then rolling the flattened rectangular section around the original hanger bolt to 'fill' the difference. Problem was solved and the car drives great!

Yes, 72Demon440 is correct. The front bolts are bigger. I
have a set on the Duster. I'd like to say you go from 1/2 in
to 5/8in. I could be wrong on the sizes. But the front bolts are
bigger. If the rear is to high after you put them in, you can
flip the front spring mount. Just elongate the mounting holes. I
did that on the Duster, because it had the stink bug look.

Yes, front bolts are 5/8. I drilled out the holes in the hangers to 5/8, got some new grade 8's and slapped it back together.

What length are the required 5/8" bolts? It'd be nice to have them pre-purchased before I rip the stock leafs out of my Demon in the spring.

Thanks!

I used 5 1/2" grade 8's because I went with a nylock nut and wanted a little bolt sticking out. I think you could get away with a 5 1/4" if you went with a lock washer and a regular nut. No room for a washer under the head of the bolt next to the frame.

-
Back