S6/318 opinion

-

sharpsjt

Reaction score
All,

Bit of an issue. The '75 slant 6 in my '69 Valiant has spun a bearing. My friends and I can't tell which, mains or rod bearings, without pulling the engine due to clearance issues. Some may not be aware, the S6 centerlink is straight, so even getting the oil pan out is a big PITA, especially with the differences between a 69 body and a 75 engine.

My question is this: I have access to a $100 318 w/tranny. Do I pull the S6 stuff and toss in the 318? My concern is bluntly, money. It's over $140 in bearings if it's both mains and rods, then add machining work. I admit I'm limited by both lack of knowledge/mechanical ability and lack of tools. I figure if I'm out over $300 either way, I might as well go with the 318. No machine shops hereabouts (Groton, CT) want to touch the slant for less than a complete rebuild, and quotes are running around $2600! All I want to do is get this thing roadworthy again for the least cost. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jon

yep! 318 that car! you wont regret it. what rear end do you have? probably a 7 1/4, no biggie. u could upgrade that later.

If money is really the issue, get another slant from a scrap yard, or better yet from someone doing a V8 conversion. If you go with the 318, the power increase is very nice. But in addition to the engine and transmission you'll need headers or exhaust manifolds, an exhaust system and a k-frame or conversion mounts.

Heres a cheap trick if you go with the 318.
Go to the U-Pull & grab the passenger side motor bracket/mount from a 70's dodge truck. Use it on the passenger side of your car. This will save $$$$$ from having to buy conversion mounts. Driver side will be the regular car variety.
I did this on my old 67 Barracuda before Shumachers came out. It works and is cheap.

-
Back