sad day today

-

ohiocowboy1277

Reaction score
Ive been on here a while now and more times than not I just read and dont post much but im having a bad day and as much as i dont like dumping my probs on others im the only one awake and pretty depressed at the moment so sorry to everyone ahead of time .
Today 4 years ago is when my grandfather passed I was on my way to chicago from toledo when my mom called and told me he had a heart attack so i dropped my load in chicago and headed back home to toledo I was about an hour away when she called back and told me he was gone , I lost it , pulled the truck off the road right into someones front yard didnt move for 2 hours I couldnt . I was in shock and crying like a newborn wanting a bottle . Luckily the homeowners were understanding and when i finally regained control of myself i told them i would fix their yard . I got home went straight to the hospital to be with the rest of the family .
Now understand he was the best grandfather anyone could ever hope to have ,my mom and dad divorced when i was 5 I didnt see or hear from my dad again till i was 27 . My grandfather even though he didnt have to took over that place ,gave me advice you could only get from your dad , taught me almost everything from wood working fishing home repairs cars women driving , and life in general hes the one who pushed me to do good in school stood behind every decision i made and pushed me to accomplish my dreams .
.He made me who I am today he was the father figure i was missing the grandfather you loved , and most of all my best friend . Hes the reason I got married and started my own family and why i try to be the best father i can for my daughter .I learned hard work pays off and i learned patience and the love of being outdoors and to never give up even if it seems impossible . He pushed my brother and me both ,let us make our own decisions but was always there to help us up if we fell . We even got in trouble together by my mom and grandma we would come in the house muddy dirty greasy and both be in trouble he had our backs and we had his .
what hurts is I had always hoped my daughter would have gotten to know him the way we did but she was only 3 months old when he passed .
I remember him sitting in his wheelchair in the hospital when my wife went into labor he was in bad shape then but when i came out and told everyone she was born and healthy his face lit up he told even complete strangers he just became a great grandpa. he was the first to get to hold her out of the family he looked at me and said you did good shes perfect , I know your nervous being a new dad but you will be great at it you'll make mistakes I did you'll learn from them I did , you wont be perfect i wasnt im still not but you will be the best dad ever to her because its your little girl , she will always love you and look up to you and you will always love her and be proud of her , she will make you laugh cry scare you to death , you will share her dreams keep her safe and pick her up when she falls but no matter what she will always be a daddys girl.
that was his advice to me . I remember it word for word and somehow it calmed me , it made sense because all those years he was there for us i realized when we were building things talking cracking jokes getting in trouble by my mom and grandma he was teaching us that the whole time so I had been ready for it i just didnt realize it then .
Even though its been 4 years today since his passing away I still laugh about the funny things we did . I still think back and thank him everyday for all those lessons i learned from him and find myself doing the same things with my daughter and i realize what made him so great is he had a big heart and was a big kid at heart he never lost his curiosity and was always learning and loved to learn new things i got that from him as well . Now its my turn to do that with my daughter and pass all those lessons down to her so she can learn from it ,

Thank you Grandpa ,I know it was your time, but just know that you will always be missed and never forgotten , I'm doing my best like you taught me , and your great granddaughter is still perfect and beautiful .

thanks for reading this guys sorry to be a downer today hope you all understand

This is no way a downer.
Its a tribute to a great man.
Its normal to miss someone of such great
importance in your life.
He instilled a greatness in your life, leading by example,
a practice you will instill in your family.
Be thankful and happy he left such a legacy.
He would be happy to know it lives on in you and
will be shared with his heirs.
A man can achieve no greater honor.

This is no way a downer.
importance in your life.

Very well put!! He sounds liked a great man :cheers:

I lost my grandpa just before thanksgiving and that was tough, remember all the good times you had and thanks for sharing such a great story, prayers sent for you to have a good day bud :glasses7:

This is no way a downer.
importance in your life.

This says it all. Feel very fortunate, and I think you have expressed that, that you had him in your life.

I grew up with no grandpa as they both passed before I was born, as well as one grandmother. I enjoyed one grandmother until the age of 6 when she passed.

For this reason I strive to be the best I can be at being a grandpa, the relationship between a grandpa and grandchild should be and is a very special one.

It is a privilege to read about your Grandpa, what a great role model he was and how his lessons are still with you. Thank you for sharing.

Sounds like your handling it perfect I'm going through it right now only happened last week. The difference is he took his own life and been through everything from being pissed at him for it to feeling like I could have prevented it. When it's all over I realize he is gone and in a better place he suffered allot the last few years. But I'm going to keep his wishes he said when I go don't be sad and take some straight shots of Jack for me lol. Love your post great men are few and far between

Beautiful tribute to your Grandfather, Mine has been gone for 41 years and I still think of him and the things I did and learned from him.

Thank you for sharing, I didn't think it was a downer at all. I know from my own experience, it's so hard losing a loved one such as a parent (he was a father to you, among other things). I think it's terrific that you have so many good memories and continue to keep him in your heart.

This is no way a downer.
importance in your life.

Well said longarm. Your Grandad was there for your formative years and taught you well! Sounds like an amazing man. My condolensces

Ive been on here a while now and more times than not I just read and dont post much but im having a bad day and as much as i dont like dumping my probs on others im the only one awake and pretty depressed at the moment so sorry to everyone ahead of time .
Today 4 years ago is when my grandfather passed I was on my way to chicago from toledo when my mom called and told me he had a heart attack so i dropped my load in chicago and headed back home to toledo I was about an hour away when she called back and told me he was gone , I lost it , pulled the truck off the road right into someones front yard didnt move for 2 hours I couldnt . I was in shock and crying like a newborn wanting a bottle . Luckily the homeowners were understanding and when i finally regained control of myself i told them i would fix their yard . I got home went straight to the hospital to be with the rest of the family .
Now understand he was the best grandfather anyone could ever hope to have ,my mom and dad divorced when i was 5 I didnt see or hear from my dad again till i was 27 . My grandfather even though he didnt have to took over that place ,gave me advice you could only get from your dad , taught me almost everything from wood working fishing home repairs cars women driving , and life in general hes the one who pushed me to do good in school stood behind every decision i made and pushed me to accomplish my dreams .
.He made me who I am today he was the father figure i was missing the grandfather you loved , and most of all my best friend . Hes the reason I got married and started my own family and why i try to be the best father i can for my daughter .I learned hard work pays off and i learned patience and the love of being outdoors and to never give up even if it seems impossible . He pushed my brother and me both ,let us make our own decisions but was always there to help us up if we fell . We even got in trouble together by my mom and grandma we would come in the house muddy dirty greasy and both be in trouble he had our backs and we had his .
what hurts is I had always hoped my daughter would have gotten to know him the way we did but she was only 3 months old when he passed .
I remember him sitting in his wheelchair in the hospital when my wife went into labor he was in bad shape then but when i came out and told everyone she was born and healthy his face lit up he told even complete strangers he just became a great grandpa. he was the first to get to hold her out of the family he looked at me and said you did good shes perfect , I know your nervous being a new dad but you will be great at it you'll make mistakes I did you'll learn from them I did , you wont be perfect i wasnt im still not but you will be the best dad ever to her because its your little girl , she will always love you and look up to you and you will always love her and be proud of her , she will make you laugh cry scare you to death , you will share her dreams keep her safe and pick her up when she falls but no matter what she will always be a daddys girl.
that was his advice to me . I remember it word for word and somehow it calmed me , it made sense because all those years he was there for us i realized when we were building things talking cracking jokes getting in trouble by my mom and grandma he was teaching us that the whole time so I had been ready for it i just didnt realize it then .
Even though its been 4 years today since his passing away I still laugh about the funny things we did . I still think back and thank him everyday for all those lessons i learned from him and find myself doing the same things with my daughter and i realize what made him so great is he had a big heart and was a big kid at heart he never lost his curiosity and was always learning and loved to learn new things i got that from him as well . Now its my turn to do that with my daughter and pass all those lessons down to her so she can learn from it ,

Thank you Grandpa ,I know it was your time, but just know that you will always be missed and never forgotten , I'm doing my best like you taught me , and your great granddaughter is still perfect and beautiful .

thanks for reading this guys sorry to be a downer today hope you all understand
I read your post earlier today. I got home and read it to my 12 year old son. I barely made it through without choking up. He thought it was an awesome story as well. It was truly an honor to read. Thanks again.

No worries I will listen anytime. Keep looking on the bright side of what a good man he was.

Sounds like your handling it perfect I'm going through it right now only happened last week. The difference is he took his own life and been through everything from being pissed at him for it to feeling like I could have prevented it. When it's all over I realize he is gone and in a better place he suffered allot the last few years. But I'm going to keep his wishes he said when I go don't be sad and take some straight shots of Jack for me lol. Love your post great men are few and far between

thanks for the kind words everyone it has helped me out today . You guys are all great and exactly the reason why this is my favorite place on the Internet .
Mwls73duster360 : I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather ill keep your family in my prayers .

Thank you for sharing your story. We all get caught up in talking shop, which is way cool, but stuff like this reminds us to let our human side out. You know, like crying all over the keyboard and stuff. Both of my grandfathers passed before I was born. Some of the stories I've heard about them make me feel like I've really missed out. Sounds like you are quite blessed having had such a mentor and role model. Bless you brother, and bless your grandfather's soul.:prayer::prayer:

There are not a lot of people who have had a person like your grandfather in their lives. I certainly have not. You were blessed.

We need more Grand pawsssssssssssssss in this world like him,he did a great job from what I just read.

man that put a lump in my throat...thats n awesome man...i have a little girl who has downs syndrome n shes my angel...god bless

as I read that story I couldn't help but feel that he passed on to you a great legacy and made you the person you are today. You in turn are honoring his legacy by living as he showed you and passing on to your loved ones. No better way to honor your Grandfather than by living life as he taught you, and teaching your kids the same lessons, values and morals that he instilled into you!!

The makings of another great man!! I thank your Grandfather for that, and all Grandfathers everywhere!! God has surely blessed you, and I'm thankful to Him for that as well!! Great story, thanks for sharing!! Geof

man that put a lump in my throat...thats n awesome man...i have a little girl who has downs syndrome n shes my angel...god bless

My daughter has a slight case of autism and yeah she's my shadow and my angel she follows me everywhere even taken her in the semi and she sits in the seat smiling and proud like she owns the road.
She's an inspiration to me because even when she's sick she still tries to be happy and goofy .with Kids like ours people will tell u their sorry to hear that and how hard it must be ,if they only knew that really they are a blessing and an absolute joy to be around and the little bit of extra care they do need they pay back 10 fold in their own ways,in ways others don't understand .
Mine makes me laugh she's so funny she dances to music all the time and her laugh is contagious . So I know exactly where you are coming from I wouldn't change my daughter for any reason .

thank you guys again for all the kind words and taking time to read my post you guys have all helped me alot and i appreciate . All the great people on here are what makes this such a great sight and im proud to be a part of it . Thank you again , Ryan

come on guys...give it up for ryans grandpa..we are all family so hes our grandpa as well...rip grandpa

lol thanks kevin. I know why everyone says welcome to the fabo family because it is like a family here sometimes people argue and don't always agree but just like any family we have a common ground , in this case its our mopars .

lol thanks kevin. I know why everyone says welcome to the fabo family because it is like a family here sometimes people argue and don't always agree but just like any family we have a common ground , in this case its our mopars .

.....and if we are lucky we had or have a Grandpa to look up to.

I'm sorry for the loss of of grandfather Ryan and you too Matthew (mwls73duster360).

Ryan, your grandfather sounds like a great man. Thank you for sharing with us. Although I've never met you in person, I'm proud to know you.

For me, family is everything... Mopars are a hobby.

To use your grandfather's words... "never give up even if it seems impossible".

May god bless.

-
Back