Safety question: Uni-spotter on quarter with gas tank in?

-

72Dodge

Reaction score
Back in the day, I used a Uni-Spotter tool on cars with the gas tanks in place (running driving cars), including on the quarter panels.

I'm sure it's probably not a big deal, and I'm sure I'm overthinking it, but before I hit the Dart's quarter with this Uni-Spotter... is this OK with the gas tank in?

I'm going to pull the tank before I do the MIG welding, just to be safe, but want to do small dents with the Uni-Spotter before that point.

Not interested in conjecture, just experience. I guess now that I'm older and have a family, I think a bit more before doing things as opposed to when I was 19 and thought I was invincible :)

Thanks.

Ive been doing body work for 20+ years and have never had any issues with a uni-spotter but once started a Duster on fire while welding a 1/4 panel!! I had the trunk closed with no lock in the trunk and no screw driver ready, got pretty panicy, so my word of advise would be to have a plan if something would go wrong but I don't think I would go as far a pulling the tank unless there were something like a leak.

No problem,I've seen Have one myself. Remember, the fuel vapors,more dangerous, than the actual liquid. Only,a little time,to remove the tank,unless rusted.

Only a little time to remove the tank, but I'd have to do it multiple times while I do each panel, while trying to keep the car on the road. I'd be pulling the tank and reinstalling it at least 3-4 times. That's why I ask.

OK, cool, that's what I thought. I won't worry about it then, I'll just pull the tank before MIG'ing the quarter patches just to be safe.

Thanks guys.

When ya are using the spotter just bump the button. Not even a second. I have never pulled a tank for a dent on an old car like that. I do keep fire extinguishers handy. I agree on the welding a quarter on part...remove tank. We are no longer invincible. Lol

-
Back