Saginaw Type 2 Steering Pump

-

gold66cuda

Reaction score
I attended the Spring Fling Festival of Speed this past April at Willow Springs and had an issue with my steering pump. My type 1 pump that was maybe a couple of years old blew the top of the tank off. I think this was due to excess heat and the fluid expanded and with the cap not vented built pressure and pushed the top of the reservoir off at the silver soldered joint. I started to look in a different direction for a pump as I didn't want this to happen again so I will share with you guys and gals what I came up with. I purchased a type 2 Saginaw pump from Tuff Stuff, a clip on tank from Canton Racing and a pulley and adjustable flow control valve from Turn One. I made up some brackets and spacers, shortened the tank made up some hoses, added a tubular cooler and bolted it all up and it works great. The flow control is set at low which gives a nice firm feel to my Borgeson box, I haven't beat on it to much yet but the temps are a lot lower than the old set up. As an added bonus this set up, pump brackets cooler and hoses is 6 pounds lighter than the old set up with just the pump bracket and hoses with out a cooler.

Attachments

• IMG_5310.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 129
  • photo 2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 139
  • photo 3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 148
  • photo 4.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 167
Nice set up! Did you have a cooler on the old pump? Not that it would have stopped it from blowing the top off.

Thanks. No I didn't have a cooler on it, had the pump shimmed down to about 650psi that might not have helped either.

-
Back