Saiga 7.62x39

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
I just bought my first rifle in a long time and wanted something durable rugged and cheap ammo.
From what I read the Saiga is quite accurate for the ak platform and have not seen any prevalent complaints.
Here is what mines looks like, i have not picked it up at the FFL (4 more days!).
CA law = 10 round mag and some other bull crap so of course I have to stick to the basics in the rifle.
The rifle is good in case of a zombie attack. More likely tons of target practicing will be going on and a few tannerite days here and there.

Attachments

• IZ132 Saiga.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 180
Nice rifle! I like the fact that they are a true russian factory built variant with all new parts. One thing I can recommend is installing a bullet guide and file down the mag. lever so you will be able to use standard ak mags. Much cheaper than the saiga/surefire mags and very readily available. Plus if you can find some pre-ban high caps then just put in a blocker rod so if one day California removes their heads from their butts you will already have the mags. Now go blow some stuff up!

Thanks!
Yes, I liked the fact that they are all new parts, made at the Russian factory and supposedly hammer forged chrome lined barrel too! T

he hi-caps available for the rifle, a little spendy (39 bucks), but I wont be having any in this state. I dont feel like filing the thing to accept standard mags either as I am concerned about reliability and am a green horn on the gun mods. When I go out to AZ on family vac, i'll keep a few hi caps out there and pick up load of steel case poly ammo :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr9XijAw3e8&feature=player_detailpage"]Saiga Rifle AK47 Bullet Guide - YouTube[/ame]

A quick video in case you ever do want to try and do it. Also a great place to get parts for your Saiga! Being originally from CA myself I know the price of firearms stuff gets pretty overpriced. Since I moved out here to TX I haven't had to pay more than $10 for any of my 30rd. AK mags.

OK. Wow, I was under the impression there was all kinds of filing and file to fit work. Looks very straight forward.

camd, did you mod your saiga with the little bullet guide and file the mag keeper?

I see that site has the bullet guide kit for various trunions. Friggin great website. Thank you for the post.

I am looking for a 5.45x39 Saiga now. Dangit, I can't find one. 6 months ago they were everywhere.

Need something in case of Zombie attack......good luck with it....

I have done a couple of the 7.62's for the AK mags, very simple to do and well worth it IMO. Both ran 100% with any of the mil surplus or tapco mags. If you do it just remember to go slow with the tapping and filing. I too plan on getting at some point a 5.45 Saiga or possibly just building my own from a virgin bulgarian kit. Haven't decided yet plus don't have the funds. If you are for sure getting a 5.45 try and stock up on mags soon, they seem to be drying up and getting more pricey. Look for Circle 10's or other military surplus ones. As far as the california legal ones though the tapco ones are ok. Just keep an eye on the lockup tabs. I have a couple 10rd ones for when I am bench shooting and no issues yet. Happy shooting!

Well my little rifle runs great! I took it apart before using and lubed all the slide and contact points with lucas brand zddp. Uh that should keep things sliding. If I was in the desert, I would have just used graphite rather than oil.
Trigger travel is just fine and fairly short. Weight is just fine too. No unusual feel or snags.
I can hit a 12 inch steel target at 80 yards every time with the factory sights just standing (target ain't moving though and I take my time). Think I want to V the rear sight a little for quicker acquisition and put it on a bench with like a sand bag to do some longer range testing.
Using tulammo non corrosive steel case. 230 bucks to the door / 1000. Not one gun operation issue yet. I shot about 100 rounds so far.
I am really happy with the craftsmanship and quality of it too.
. Now I want a 5.45 but can't find jack, dammit.

Just an update on my rifle.

I must have ran 1500 rounds thru it and not one error. Been running Tullammo and Wolf fmj.

Put a 0 x 55mm red dot by hi-lux (95 bucks) on it. Which is completely solid.

I am killing a 12" steel at 185 yards, 90 out of 100 shots all day long braced on a wood fence. Group looks like an average 7-8". Great accuracy for 0 x scope, 16' barrel and a Kalashnikov in my humble opinion. I reckon I could do better with a shooting bench and rifle rest.

-
Back