salvage run

-

Stone Runner

Reaction score
Just picked up my first A body, 72 duster. Going to do a rotisierie and hopefully drop in a 3 rd gen hemi.
Plan on spending Monday pulling parts at a salvage yard. There are some decent front fenders from valiants and dusters, a lot better than mine. My confusion is determining what make is of some loose fenders and partially stripped cars. The fenders are reasonble so I may grab extra.
It appears a vin with an L is a dodge dart and V is a valiant/duster.
Is there quick a way of telling loose fenders? I think a dodge is longer than a plymouth? The difference in marker light placement from different doesn't matter since I plan on filling the holes.
There also is a 74 valiant with disc brakes, upper control arms, spindles, discs, calipers, what else should I grab, or just torch off the whole front end?
What should I look for in a rear end (not mopar babes). Would trucks have an 8 3/4?
Any parts to keep an eye out for potential future use in the project?
Any sage advice would be appreciated.

The fenders are the same length - as far as I can tell. How to tell them apart ? I'd guess the headlight door areas should be a clue. Look for name call outs on the side as well, duster, dart, swinger, valiant etc. I think the plymouths had different headlight doors vs the darts, the body ID tag is a good bet, drivers side. fenders interchange whether they are from a duster style body or a swinger style body, or 4 door for that matter as long as they are from the correct donor make and year (Ply or Dodge). The fenders will swap on any later A body as long as they are a pair and you have the right headlight doors and grill. Doors I think as well (2 door car), but the glass runs are different as are the shape of the glass. Not sure I am helping, but you need to have a clear idea of what you need . take pics of the stuff you are trying to replace and use that as your guide.

If you can find a 66-70 B body 8 3/4 - axle grab it, of course an A body 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 are desirable as well. The B axles are only about an inch wider than an A - so by relocating the perches you can use a B axle easily in a duster style body, the rear fenders are bigger anyway as well on a duster making this a natural fit. You also get the larger bolt pattern to boot.

On the brake parts, take everything, Including the lower control arms and upper control arms. Take the proportioning valve as well. You dont necessarily need the lower control arms, but you might as well take them for spares or swap meet parts. Take the sway bar as well if it has one, along with the associated mounting brackets. You definitely want the lower control arms in this case as they have the end link tabs, non sway bar lower control arms do not have the tabs ! Beware of the upper control arms - the pivot bolts will likely be terrible to get out, prepare yourself for alot of pain and agony - either that or torch them out - best option.

If the donor car has a V8, consider taking the K frame as well along with the motor mounts, These use the through bolt design used from 73 up which are superior to the older biscuit type which can break. The 73 up mounts are a positive lock type, even when the rubber breaks down the engine is still locked in.

If you can find a suregrip 8 3/4 center section (found in 73 and older cars/trucks) I'd strongly suggest buying it, check the gear ratio before pulling it out.

Happy hunting !

Thanks for the information, it is suppose to warm up Monday 34 degrees. I keep looking for a 69 valiant grill but no luck. I see a few fury IIs. Trying to find a decent metal grill.

Ok Duster/Valiant/Scamp fenders are totally different then any Dart fender. If you wanna use Plymouth fenders you gotta use everything from the Plymouth and vise verse for the Dart. To tell a difference in the fenders by looking the Plymouth fenders wheel opening goes straight down behind the tire where Dodge fenders taper towards the rear of the fender. Also 67-76 Plymouth fenders will all interchange the only difference is the marker light style and location. However not all Dart fenders will interchange. As far as 8 3/4 you can scavenge them all looking for a good chunk with decent gears but try to stick with 66-70 B-Body and A-body rears or A-body 8 1/4 rears. If you get an 8 3/4 you should try to get the front brakes from 73-up A-body since that is when they went to the Large Bolt Pattern, but only the disc's have the large pattern. Hope this helps. Also 73-up Dusters have different grilles and front bumpers and in 74 they changed to a different rear then 72. Happy hunting I have a 68 Valiant grille in pretty good shape one headlight bezel is a little tweaked.

-
Back