Sand in the driveshaft?

-

71Duster

Reaction score
The driveshaft on my 71 Duster 340 727 has been cut down from a 74 fury 4 door -written in grease pencil by a wrecker- by a previous owner. When I've had it off and turn it end to end it sounds like sand or slag rolling through it. It doesn't "seem" to have any vibration issues.

Would you be worried?

You never know what you're gonna find in a stock driveshaft. Usually excess balancing weight to correct the sloppy construction.

I bet its just slag or grit from the chop saw they used to cut it down. As long as its not giving you any bad vibes, I wouldnt worry!

Alright, I need to put a new u-joint in it so wasn't sure if I should be looking for a replacement or re-tubeing this one.

I measured the length on it with a factory one supposed to be 44.99" mine measures really close I measured from u-joint to u-joint though.

It also has the 7260 U-Joints when I replace them is there a heavy duty application for this size?

There are so called "super" u-joints available. It's been a few yrs. ago so I can't remember the brand or proper name but just ask if there is a heavy duty one available. I bought mine from NAPA.

Sounds good, When I change the joints I'll have to check how much slip yoke is in the trans, I always though it looked like a lot hanging out

-
Back