Sandblast pressure pot ??'s How good/safe are they??

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I have my redneck booth for a temporary setup for sandblasting. What Im using right now is a 5 gal pail to put the media in. Would I get better results with a pressure pot? My compressor puts out 150-160 psi, my concern with a psi pot is safety. Anyone with experience with them??

Thanks
4spdragtop

So I have my redneck booth for a temporary setup for sandblasting. What Im using right now is a 5 gal pail to put the media in. Would I get better results with a pressure pot? My compressor puts out 150-160 psi, my concern with a psi pot is safety. Anyone with experience with them??

Thanks
4spdragtop

I have one, it works great..

Cant really afford to spend the $$ on the pressure pot right now but if they are more effective, I might just have to

There is a big difference, since one relies on gravity and siphon, while the other provides positive pressure from above to supplement gravity and siphon.

All things being equal, the pressure pot will function more consistently and provide much more adjustability in terms of particle flow. It will also allow you work at much lower pressures, for delicate materials, should you require it.

With that being said, the biggest problem I see with the pressure pot crowd is corrosion from poorly filtered air supply that causes material to hang up on the interior walls, and, because many have poor/cheap water separators installed upline, the material gets damp and doesn't maintain space between granules (it compacts).

Best advise is to use a top notch filter and water separator (water separator at supply and point of use) and to remember to drain them - especially during the summer when the grains of water per pound of air are high.

Just my 2 cents and good luck with your search.

Southernman

I have both a pressure pot, for large item and a cabinet blaster for smaller items. Both work very well, but you must have a good air supply ( 100 psi or better) and good moisture seperators in line. It;s always eaiser to use when it;s not so humid out. I generally save large items for the fall of the year, to blst outside. Heres a little trick I use....I bought a remote oil filter setup ( for a race car) and plumbed it in my airline after my water seperator, but before my cabinet blaster. I use a standard automotive oil filter, and it works awsome for captureing any letfover moisture before it goes into my blast cabinet. I change the filter regularly. Never had any moisture problems sinse, and I'v used this setup for the past 7 years.

I have both a pressure pot, for large item and a cabinet blaster for smaller items. Both work very well, but you must have a good air supply ( 100 psi or better) and good moisture seperators in line. It;s always eaiser to use when it;s not so humid out. I generally save large items for the fall of the year, to blst outside. Heres a little trick I use....I bought a remote oil filter setup ( for a race car) and plumbed it in my airline after my water seperator, but before my cabinet blaster. I use a standard automotive oil filter, and it works awsome for captureing any letfover moisture before it goes into my blast cabinet. I change the filter regularly. Never had any moisture problems sinse, and I'v used this setup for the past 7 years.

when you get time....... a nice picture of the set up would be cool! :thumblef:

Steve you got 125 lbs. blowing in to a sand tank, forcing sand out of a hose! You have 2000 lbs of co2/argon in a mig welder tank. Think about it. Pressurized is the way to go! I do want to know how to control the leaks in the freezer cab blaster though !

Or you can build your own,with a a used lp tank and some pipe/fittings etc.

-
Back