Sandblasting with garnet?

-

POPS6T6

Reaction score
Starting on the project again this weekend, and was going to blast the undercarraige with garnet to remove the loose rust, dirt and whateve else is under there. Any suggestions on grit? I can get a 55# bag of 80 grit for $35. Would that do the job? I've heard garnet is the way to go, as usual, any input would be appreciated!

J

Thanks..going to look into it.. Also looking at black aluminum oxide..it's easily available for me and a lil more cash, but saves me from driving all over town..

Carefull with that stuff....It's pretty abrasive If I remember and can tear into the metal and leave an orange peel like finish....I did a bike frame years ago and ruined it.....well it looked like an orange peel when I finished it anyway.

Good luck

Mop

All I'm working on is the rear end, springs and under the car..going to keep my distance and just try to clean it up and paint it..a little orange peel underneath wouldn't be the death of the project, but I'll definately be careful. Thanks for the warning!

I use black bueaty plastic media sold at Northern tool, for a 50lb bag its $7.00. Works real good, some times it goes on sale for $4.99 .

MrG

What MrG said. I just finished sandblasting a heavily rusted full frame of a '56 Plymouth and it required seven bags to do the job.

Well I ended up using a product called Nevada Black 30/60 on some parts and it worked amazing! Even with the lil 40lb Harbor Freight sandblaster..it is only $12 for a 100lb bag, only problem is that my air compressor just didn't keep up enough pressure and I did dump quite a bit of sand instead of a constant blast..but it worked, minor pitting (sanded right off) so now I picked up 5 more bags to hit the underside with and I'll post pictures of the before and after as soon as I get to that project.. Thanks for all the advice fellas!

-
Back