Saying Goodbye to one of the horses

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
This is Matoaka. She is one of my ex-stepmom's horses. My stepmother left the horses with my dad when she left. My dad and her still keep in touch as friends. Here is a five year old picture of her:

19867_106840775997733_1254249_n.jpg

Now the poor girl is 31 years old right now. Her mind is more than willing but her body is failing. She's refusing to gain any weight, instead losing it pretty fast. We are worried she won't be able to survive the winter and came to the conclusion that she needs to be put down. We will be doing this next Sunday. My stepmother wanted some pictures in case she can't make it next week.

BfK2GHm.jpg

b8qnyWx.jpg

What a beautiful horse. That's not going to be an easy thing to do. Dan

Horses are the worst to say goodbye too ecspecially when they are around you for thirty years. Maybe she will bounce back soon but if not then I'm sorry.

Horses are the worst to say goodbye too ecspecially when they are around you for thirty years. Maybe she will bounce back soon but if not then I'm sorry.

This has been slowly happening for the past three years. It's to the point she is mostly skin and bones now stumbling around. :pale:

what usually does these old ones in, is their joints. get where they can't get up and down. problem with weight gain at that age usually is teeth. they will angle forward and wear, develop sharp points, these points can be floated off by a vet. feed available for senior horses that is very digestable. but at 31 has lived a long full life regardless of what.

My hart goes out to you, things like this we are handed in life hurts deeply :pale:
May I offer a prayer for strength and wisdom to see this threw for this great friend of yours Drache.................................................................................. amen.

That is such a beautiful animal you have been blessed with sir, there will be greener and none fenced in pastures waiting O:)

Poor old girl. I feel your pain. 31 years she has lived a good life with good caring people. Saving her the suffering is the best thing you can do. Doesnt make it hurt any less though. As they really are family.

I have had to do this with a few animals i had. My prayers are with you and your family during your time of loss. Like memike was saying, she will be somewhere better, where she will be eternally young, and nothing will hurt anymore.

Matt

Feeling for y'all - we've got one old girl gettin' close, too...she's been 'retired' for 2 or 3 years now and is pretty 'long in the tooth' (close to 30 also)

It's very sad to have to let them go...

Very nice looking horse...

Man that is tough..we get soooo attached to our animals..God bless

Always a tough thing to do. Knowing it's for the best doesn't make it easier but does make it possible to do what is best for her. Sorry for your pain.Unfortunatley all of us animal lovers have been there..Good luck sir.

the outside of a horse is good my the inside of a man. very old and true saying.

its so hard to let go of an old horse or dog or cat., when that time comes..... we feel like there must be a better w ay to repay these animals for the love or work that they have given us thru their lifetime. but there isn't ......

Sorry to hear that, it's tough losing a long time friend like that. I think you've made the right decision, as hard of one that it is.

-
Back