SB 4 speed install w/ Lakewood Housing

-

340kid

Reaction score
any tips or tricks installing 833 4 speed into lakewood scattershield, concerned about throw out bearing and fork , im thinking
i have fork installed, put throw out bearing on fork then position the input shaft into the bearing and slowly guide the tranny in ????

I have a 340 in my demon backed by a 833 with a Lakewood scatershield.
Install engine first. Then flywheel, clutch, Pressure Plate, Next put a couple of rachet straps around the torsion bars and position them to support the engine on the oil pan but position them close to the rear of the oil pan to prevent it from crushing, also losen your motor mounts to let the engine drop a little bit in the rear onto the rachet straps or you can use a jack or tranny jack and support the engine then losen the motor mounts and lower the jack slowly to let the rear of the engine pitch down. Make sure your distributor doesnt hit the fire wall and damage it.
Next install the lakewood bellhousing by securing the bolts on the bottom first then secure the bolts on the top. After the bell housing is fastened. Slide your throw out bearing onto the input shaft of the tranny. Then install the tranny into the bellhousing and support the tranny with a jack or a transmission jack, secure the tranny to the bellhousing then jack tranny into place of cross member. Install cross member and secure it in place, the tighten up the motor mounts. Next install shifter, linkages, ETC.
Then you can install the clutch pivot fork into the throw out bearing then clutch arm push rod, z bar ETC.

Hope this helps.
View attachment WP_000487.jpg

View attachment WP_000488.jpg

View attachment WP_000398.jpg

View attachment WP_000400.jpg

View attachment WP_000401.jpg

View attachment WP_000402.jpg

Possibly header clearance issues.A friend has a 340 Challenger,had fitment issues with Hooked Super Comp headers.

Thanks guys , got it in yesterday, went in pretty smooth except I needed to trim the
Lip between tunnel and floor pan, scatter shield was hitting and preventing the the whole combo to move up into position

Thanks for the pics "71" I had the clutch:flywheel and bell housing installed when we put the engine in., also the fork, before we slid tranny in I put the throw out bearing on fork and carefully guided tranny through that , then thru clutch and finally into pilot bearing, was able to grab diagonal bolts on tranny and sent it in. Was concerned about centering ring on main shaft bearing but it went right in, installed crossmember and new super shifter today. !

-
Back