Status
Not open for further replies.

pastortom1

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Guys.........

I've been having chronic problems with my 727 tailshaft destroying bushings......Somethin' just ain't right, and to be frank, I've had it with repair shops takin' my cash and not solving the problem.

I want a complete, ready to bolt in, SB 727 Tail Housing, in GOOD RUNNING ORDER with no known problems, and good seal........Have cash.......Need it as FAST as you can get it out the door. Freshly rebuilt would be GREAT........Call 813-862-3360, or e-mail [email protected] for Tom.

Unless your tailshaft was messed up, like a worn out surface where the bushing pressed in, your problem can very well be in the driveshaft. A bent driveshaft is the first thing that comes to mind. But you should check the whole thing, yokes & slip spline, as well as the rear end yoke and pinion angle to be sure.

Tom, just cool down a bit and take your car to Bill's Transmission on Hwy. 92 just east of McIntosh Rd, about 3/4 miles, in Seffner. Bill has been doing transmissions for over 25 years and Popsey even longer. If that doesn't do it for you PM me and I may have what you need.:cheers:

The driveshaft is brand new front to back, new tube, and balanced......made no difference after it was installed.........the vibration is IN the housing.

I'll map Seffner and see what I can do about having them check it out for me......but I'll tell you again that I'm tired......I've heard it all before, and had my share of discussions with guys who swear they know exactly what my problem is, and then only treat a symptom of a greater problem....it's happened with balancer and converter problems, rearends and tranny's....the list is significant.

The last shop argued that my "shifter" was hitting the case and THAT was what I was hearing.......there was a quarter inch of clearance, and not a mark on the case, but they still argued.........when they took it apart, they found a trashed bushing just like I told them...BUT, they just treated the obvious....this kind of thing happens all the time when I get stumped and go to these shops.........more often than not I find that apart from their expertise in rebuilding a particular, they usually diagnose from general knowledge just like I do.........I know it's not a "catch-all".......everybody's different in some way, but I've thrown too much money to these guys to treat symptoms instead of the causes over the years. Like I said, I'm tired.

In case it's not feasible to take the car to Seffner, let me know what you might have over there......................

Thanks & Merry Christmas................. Doc

Check the output shaft runout to see if it is bent...or worn out bushing/bearing inside the main case. Process of elimination would indicate it's inside the trans itself.

Is the YOKE new ?? Is the driveshaft the PROPER length ?

Unless there is something grossly wrong with the tailhousing a new one isn't going to fix the problem .

But I'm with locomotion , your output shaft may be bad , also there is a bearing in the middle of the tailhousing , but I don't see that being the problem unless it's missing all its balls.

I appreciate the input guys, but I've covered all of this in the past......

The vibration is coming from the tail housing, and it's severe enough to destroy a bushing in under a hundred miles and knock the snot out of the u-joint if you let it go.

The driveshaft is brand new and balanced, and is exactly the correct length.

The tail bearing does not seem affected.......the last time it was apart, the bearing looked and operated as new, while the bushing had been through a world war. There MUST be something boogered up on the output shaft itself..........But, as things go, I didn't get to inspect it first hand.....I trusted a mechanic.

With all of the possibilities you could come up with with, I've "been there and done that".............We're facing a problem inside the tail.............That's why I'd just as soon change the whole thing out and be done with it.

Sorry, Tom, what I have is a 904 donor. I didn't catch the 727 in your post. Give Bill a call, he will help you out. Be straight forward with him and tell him what you want done and he will do what you want done. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back