SB intake bolts

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Do small block intake bolts need to be sealed or can they go in dry ?

I was told to always put a dab of silicone on the bolts or a little oil will seep out.

I'm not really sure what the shop manuals call for but, I've done a couple of eddie manifolds on 318's, 360's and 360 magnum. Never used anything on them and have not had any issues yet.

I'd put a dab off silicone on them. There are intake bolt holes in the head are open to the crankcase pressures.

Teflon paste or RTV. The bolts are open to the inside of the heads where oil is as cracked mentioned. Over time oil will wick up the threads from capillary action and will end up making little oil puddles on the manifold if sealer isn't used. That oil ends up making a stink, gets burned on and is really hard to clean off.

I always use a little dab of non hardening permatex or aviation sealer on the threads. Beter to be safe then sorry.

Use some RTV on the bolts and a little bit around the water ports. Adam, Ask me... How I know :toothy8:

I always use teflon paste or non hardening permatex cause like the others said oil seep up through them eventually and make a mess.

-
Back