SB mech. fuel pump?

-

JoeDust451

Reaction score
What are some of you useing in your mild 360, is there anything worth while from say O'Reillys or Napa? I would just get a Carter street pump, but there pricey & i've had issues with some in the past, also heard they've gotten crappier here lately.

I use to use the Carter pumps, I tried a Holley pump that ended up putting out to much pressure and flooding the edelbrock carb I was using.

Ive been using stock replacements since then.

I've got a stock replacement on my not-so-mild 5.9 and it is working out great.

Steve

Cool, any part #s maybe, or just a standard Federal mogule or who ever makes them?

Whichever way you go-don't by a mechanical HV Holley.

I know of at least three cases using these pumps - (inc my own two years ago) where the check valve has broken or stuck in the internals of the pump , and the cylinders have been "washed" with excessive fuel pressure.

Mine recorded at 9.5 PSI : 1!!

2 Holleys and regulators- would not go under 14 psi. A 110 Carter mech pump from Autozone, ordered, works good.

I wanted to ask as well since where on the topic,how do you know
if your mech pump is struggling to supply enough fuel?

mines Carter Super Series M6270 flows 120 gph at 8 psi. no fuel starvation there. or at least thats what my sparks plugs
and fuel pressure gauge tells me.

I wanted to ask as well since where on the topic,how do you know
if your mech pump is struggling to supply enough fuel?

fuel starvation...i think the only way to tell is when you are on the gas hard and feel a bogging on the top end? could be wrong though

as for the op, i was going to upgrade my mech pump to electric, but for now just got a stock replacement carter pump for it...40 bucks and its worked fine to start the car up and rev er' up too! cant speak for driving hard though...as others have told me, it doesnt make sense to go to a bigger better pump unless you are going to increase the size of the puny stock fuel line

I bought one of those chrome Summit ones. Havn't tried it yet though.

Anyone else try one of those? It's starting to sound that stock might be the safer way to go??? :dontknow:

Thanks for the input, i'm upgraded to 3/8 line, for now i'll go with a stock replacement, or maybe the carter street pump.

I've been running a mechanical Carter street pump on my 340 for about three years now. It supplies all the fuel the engine needs.

I used a chrome Holley way back in the past with no issues. Currently using a Carter strip super pump.

Adam on this board also had issues with the Holley mechanical -

They have been re-released I'm told, so maybe they fixed the problem?

carter pump
I have both the street and strip pump on both my cars
the street one is 14 years old and the strip is 12 years old
no leaks \\ no problems and you can rebuild it.
mancini has a rebuild kit if you ever need it
mine are still the original pumps :thumbup:

The Summit Chrome one did not work! I had to use a year old stock one and it works! I'm also getting 7psi.

-
Back