SB Mopar Performance Billet Distributor

-

dgc333

Reaction score
My son just picked up one of the new MP billet distributors (p/n P5249776) for my Barracuda. I had been looking at getting a new distributor that has an adjustable mechanical advance and this unit does. Plus it still uses stock style cap and rotors so you can do a tune up without ordering those parts and the magnetic pick-up looks like a standard mopar pick up too.

It has an easily adjusted advance just by loosening a lock screw and moving a stop. Only wish there were some graduations so you don't have to fiddle with a protractor or trial and error it.

Here are some pictures.

Dist#11.JPG

Dist #22.JPG

Dist #33.JPG

Oh! I'll be paying for it one way or another. ;)

He's a tech for a Toyota / Dodge Dealership and gets MP stuff at cost.

These are made by Mallory for MP or Mallory has the same distributor.
You can get a spring kit and it comes with pieces to set the advance.

I can post a pic. of what they look like if want to make some as the kit
was something like 40.00 for some springs and the plastic pieces to
set the timing.

I've found 4 of the ones with the adjustable vacuum advance in
the yards around here. Alot of people put the MP kit on the M-body
cars to replace the lean-burn computer.

On this distributor you do not need anything to adjust the amount of advance. The stop rides in a slot and there is another piece held by set screws that allows you too adjust the stop. The springs supplied had the advance all in a little over 2500 rpm pretty much right where you want it.

That is true, you don't really need anything. You can use a protractor
or can guess for the amount of advance. Engraved marks would have
been sweet.

The pieces make it easier to get back to where you were if your
testing and need to make the change back quickly. Each piece
is marked for the amount of advance.

The springs are good for most cars, my M-body did not like them
for some reason.

Danny

FWIW, I looked at Mallory, Accel and MSD distributors and went with the MP unit for the simple reason that it still uses stock type cap, rotor and pcik-up. Any of those others you need to use there parts which requires ordering and being down for a few days.

I used a protractor glued to an old rotor with a piece of wire taped to the body of the distributor to set the advance. Took about 5 minutes to set up.

-
Back