SB vs BB who wins?

-
I's go with the 400. A good 400 built right I think would handle more hp. Especially the early ones. Assuming these cars and engines are built with parts that complement each other both designs power will be similar cfm, cid to hp. Power adders are avail to push the engines to their blocks limits. I think a cross bolt early 400 ends up the better choice and can be done for about the same cost of the stroker kit, If you can find one. My best engine was a 400. My 2 cents.

I see people talking about the early 230 400 blocks. But answer this honestly. How many blocks have you seen that broke in some fashion that was caused 100% by too much power? Not one that was broken from some outside influence like a broken rod bolt and a rod come apart or some such. Just a straight up busted block because it housed too much power. I'm not sure I've ever seen one. I've seen a lot that were tore all to hell, too, but it was always something else that let go that caused it.

Last edited:
I see people talking about the early 230 400 blocks. BUt answer this honestly. How many blocks have you seen that broke in some fashion that was caused 100% by too much power? Not one that was broken from some outside influence like a broken rod bolt and a rod come apart or some such. Just a straight up busted block because it housed too much power. I'm not sure I've ever seen one. I've seen a lot that were tore all to hell, too, but it was always something else that let go that caused it.
I've seen a few stocker's with cracks in the mainline and that definitely wasn't caused from 2 much powa.
I don't know what caused it though since they were bare blocks.

Yeah. There's definitely gotta be limits but I'm sure a 500 hp NA 400 could handle 15psi and hit 1000 safely, with a conservative tune.

I see people talking about the early 230 400 blocks. BUt answer this honestly. How many blocks have you seen that broke in some fashion that was caused 100% by too much power? Not one that was broken from some outside influence like a broken rod bolt and a rod come apart or some such. Just a straight up busted block because it housed too much power. I'm not sure I've ever seen one. I've seen a lot that were tore all to hell, too, but it was always something else that let go that caused it.

Biggest thing I have heard with stock big block builds that make power is cap walk causing issues.

Biggest thing I have heard with stock big block builds that make power is cap walk causing issues.
I've heard that and seen witness marks, but I've not seen one torn up from it. Not saying it hasn't happened. Just that I've not seen it. .....and as usual my disclaimer is that don't mean chit. lol I'm thinkin though, if it was a wide spread problem, we'd see more broken blocks. IMO, broken blocks are usually the result of "something else" letting go.

Obviously I don't have the baddest big block but I'm fairly confident in the studs and factory caps at the rpm mine makes peak power at. It shouldn't ever see 7000 rpm until I put some real heads on it but then I'll make a couple more changes.
Some people call girdles a bandaid but I am thinking if you can save the caps walking and some of the distortion that happens I see nothing wrong with a band aid as I personally can't afford an aftermarket block.

Obviously I don't have the baddest big block but I'm fairly confident in the studs and factory caps at the rpm mine makes peak power at. It shouldn't ever see 7000 rpm until I put some real heads on it but then I'll make a couple more changes.
Some people call girdles a bandaid but I am thinking if you can save the caps walking and some of the distortion that happens I see nothing wrong with a band aid as I personally can't afford an aftermarket block.
How much do entry level bb mopar blocks cost? just curious.

How much do entry level bb mopar blocks cost? just curious.
I'm not sure what your idea of entry level is ?
Oh the block alone, you can get them from free to $1000.
Mine was 400 for the entire engine, it's supporting 685 hp

One of these days I'll make that nickname a thing of the past lol, but until then I'll just keep on slackin.
Too late…. lol

IMG_2132.jpeg

I'm not sure what your idea of entry level is ?
Oh the block alone, you can get them from free to $1000.
Mine was 400 for the entire engine, it's supporting 685 hp
I guess I meant entry level aftermarket blocks. Sorry and thanks.

Can you make one for Tim, doesn't he have Yellow 73 Dart, I think Yellowtoad would make for a good plate for him.
I'm very sure he'd like it. :D
Damn, you should have heard that laugh lol.
Yep yella dart sport.

I like the B also, Thank you. I just picked up a couple early 400's and a few industrial 413's.
I have 1 more 73 400 block, I'm going to try grab a few more if they come up.
1 has a mainline crack and I use it for mock up but I'll do some experimenting with it also in the future.

Can you make one for Tim, doesn't he have a Yellow 73 Dart, I think Yellowtoad would make for a good plate for him.
I'm very sure he'd like it. :D
His yellowtoad should be 1 hell of a ripper coming up pretty soon.

-
Back