SBE Turbo magnum teardown

-

Mean416

Reaction score
This is the Dakota with a stock bottom end magnum, that this guy's been hammering for years. He finally broke it at 17 psi and he was running low 10s. He did a teardown video. What a cool channel.

I think it's pretty amazing. The only mod of significance was adding head studs and aftermarket head gaskets. If you watch his channel he's been consistently doing test and tunes with the truck for years. He launches pretty damn hard on a two step and a trans brake.

The only real obvious wear was on the top con rod shells, but even those were at least pretty evenly worn and the patterns didn't look awful. That said the rod bearings clearly were read for replacement.

To me with a head gasket upgrade it's obvious he could hit it with much more boost. Stock pistons rods and crank guys. That's a lot of power for a shitload of hard runs.

I think it's pretty amazing. The only mod of significance was adding head studs and aftermarket head gaskets. If you watch his channel he's been consistently doing test and tunes with the truck for years. He launches pretty damn hard on a two step and a trans brake.

The only real obvious wear was on the top con rod shells, but even those were at least pretty evenly worn and the patterns didn't look awful. That said the rod bearings clearly were read for replacement.

To me with a head gasket upgrade it's obvious he could hit it with much more boost. Stock pistons rods and crank guys. That's a lot of power for a shitload of hard runs.
At 17 psi got to be at least making hp in the 800's.

If you look at the con rod bearings on a stock magnum, the top bearing will show the same wear. With the plenum leaks and stock tuning the magnums detonated all the time and I think that’s what we are seeing in those bearings. The cam bearings delaminate as well.

This is the Dakota with a stock bottom end magnum, that this guy's been hammering for years. He finally broke it at 17 psi and he was running low 10s. He did a teardown video. What a cool channel.

Cool video. I watched it earlier today.

I follow his channel, and saw that video when it came out. Pretty inspiring and shows just how tough these smallblocks and magnums are with the right tune. It owed him nothing and ran well for a while, and I believe he does a lot of street driving with it too. Very cool build

-
Back