SBM 360 coolant leak

-

carguy47

Reaction score
OK. So my 1976 360 has coolant leaking out of the lower passenger side water pump bolt hole. I tried using teflon tape and silicon. Still pouring out.
Anyone have an idea of what's up?

leak.jpg

it appears you have recently done some work that did not include replacing the water pump - it's possible that you've compromised the gasket/sealant and/or it's not torqued to spec

OK. So my 1976 360 has coolant leaking out of the lower passenger side water pump bolt hole. I tried using teflon tape and silicon. Still pouring out.
Anyone have an idea of what's up?

View attachment 1715083986

4 of the water pump bolts go through the timing chain cover and into the engine block and water jacket. You should drain the coolant below that level, blow out the hole and apply water proof thread sealer to the threads of the bolt and reinstall. Could also be a compromised water pump gasket at that hole, but I'm betting on the bolt through the block.

Yes, some of those bolts need sealant-permatex works good

thanks guys. Yeah, I did use permatex. I did not pull the water pump, that was my next step. Figured I would check with all of you before I did that.

The car has been sitting for two years. Just got around to working on it again cause I freed up space in the garage. The only motor work done was new headers and new fuel pump.

This stuff works great... Pour about 1/4 tube in the radiator, then start the engine and let it run for 30 - 40 minutes.... It finds the leaks and will fill them to make them stop leaking and it won't clog the heater core like Bar's leak....

You can find it at most chain auto parts stores...

DSC05064 B.jpg

OK. Here is a picture of the issue! Seems non of the above. I found out these covers are notorious for corrosion issues. Well, that is my issue as you can see.

IMG_20170903_113009829.jpg

-
Back