SBP 10" rear brake drums and shoes

-

firevike

firevike
Reaction score
I recently put an 8 3/4" rear into my '68 Dart. Casting #2881489. The rear came out of another A Body but I don't know model or year. I am having a hard time finding replacement drums and shoes because parts stores can only apparently search by year, make and model. The drums that came off the 8 3/4 have a few markings: Max. Dia. 10.090" and 35789. I assume it's a casting #. It also has the Chrysler Pentastar and 550. Drum inside width is 2" or 2 1/4", not sure. Does anyone know what A Bodies came with this set up so I can have the parts store search that way and start somewhere? As far as the correct linings, I will probably have the same problem finding a match. HELP!

A body 8.75 rear only came with 10x1.75 rears, the 10x2+ rears are from B, C, or E bodies.

You're gonna have fun finding those in an ordinary parts store, and I'm not sure that even Rock Auto carries the rear drums for an A body 8 3/4. 70Duster is correct, they are 10x1 3/4" and that is the ONLY size an actual A-body 8 3/4 has, unless it has been changed or reconfigured.

Now, if you want to find these drums and related hardware, give Craig Studnick a call at 516-485-1935. He knows Mopar brakes like the back of his hand and carries most all of the hard to find stuff. He's quite a character, so gear up when you talk to him, but he'll set you up!! Good luck, Geof

go to rock auto & look up a 68 dart with 10" drum brakes-- that should give you the correct items. Check this board there has been members selling these items-- do a search ,Lawrence

They can, but I don't think they are available anymore. Those are often referred to as "Canadian" drums, and I believe that the flange is some attempt at keeping snow out of the rear braking system from driving in deep snow!!

Not needed with Global Warming so they were discontinued!!!LOL!!

cosgig, do you know if drums are available that will fit? Won't a set of 10 X 1 3/4 for any model car work as long as they are SBP?

cosgig, thanks for the number of the brakes fellow. I will definitely give him a call.

just checked rock auto has those parts available, now-- shoes are on wholesale clearance. Lawrence

I just looked and rock's are $68 ea, which is hardly a clearance price. But I have seen people ask $80 for used drums on ebay.

For some reason, they don't list them for my 65 Dart, which I recall is also 10"x1.75" rear. I got a set of front drums cheap at rock ~$20, thinking they were for rear but their listing was wrong. It looks like if I could cut off the single lip, they would fit my rears, but maybe there is something different about rear drums I miss. I have some that have double-lips that envelope over the backing plate edge. That must be the Canadian "keep out snow" design.

Don't know if they have them now but I bought a new set of drums a few yrs. ago for my 68 Cuda at O'Reilley's for about $50 each. They weren't the bell type like the originals but they work fine.

cosgig, thanks for the number of the brakes fellow. I will definitely give him a call.

I have personally seen the non-flanged 8 3/4" drums on Craigs tables at the Nats, where I usually catch up with him. He isn't just a garage parts seller (like me!!), but has a business of selling brakes and suspension items for Mopars going all the way back into the 40's. When you talk to him, you would think that he has one of every model car in his garage and has taken the brakes apart everyday to keep up on his information. He really knows Mopar brakes, that's his business. Maybe I can get his flyer to load here.

As mentioned, he is a very unique individual, no internet, only phone and personal contact, but he will certainly help you through getting the stuff you need.

As for other 10x1 3/4" hardware, I think the offset of the axle flange is different between the 8 3/4 and 7 1/4, which would be the only other rear with the small brakes, but I have not confirmed that. I have a complete set of brakes I removed from a 7 1/4" SG equipped rearend, and am planning on mocking them up on an 8 3/4 to check the difference. I'll let you know my findings on this!! Geof

I recently put an 8 3/4" rear into my '68 Dart. Casting #2881489. The rear came out of another A Body but I don't know model or year. I am having a hard time finding replacement drums and shoes because parts stores can only apparently search by year, make and model. The drums that came off the 8 3/4 have a few markings: Max. Dia. 10.090" and 35789. I assume it's a casting #. It also has the Chrysler Pentastar and 550. Drum inside width is 2" or 2 1/4", not sure. Does anyone know what A Bodies came with this set up so I can have the parts store search that way and start somewhere? As far as the correct linings, I will probably have the same problem finding a match. HELP!

My 1971 340 Duster was bought new off the lot in June 1971 and is on a rotisserie in my garage. It has the same 8-3/4 rear with the same flanged drums, marked exactly the same as you stated. Max Dia. 10.090 twice on same drum, Penstar 550 and 35789. Also, it is the small 4 inch bolt pattern which is making it hard to find new drums. I bought new shoes and SS lines from The Paddock. Not sure if they're still in business. Wheel cylinders, Hardware kits, and adjusters from Advance Auto parts. New axle bearings, set7, from Summit, 3:93 gears and install kits and bearings @ Classic ind. Also check Dante's on ebay and partsmix.com for more parts.

You guys pulled up a 2012 thread. The answer is in a sticky here - 10" SPB rear drums became available this year.

I recently bought 2 from rockauto for ~$30 ea. They were cheap Chinese (Centric brand, I recall) and one has a small void on the outside of the casting, but "should work" and better than the $250 ea ones on ebay until recently.

-
Back