SBP Drums to SBP Discs Conversion

-

thesnafu72

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I recently picked up a pair of Kelsey Hayes 4 piston disc brakes for my 72 Dart that I bought to replace my front 10" drum brakes. They are rusty and dusty and I plan on completely restoring them before they go on my Dart. Here's what replacement parts I have bought thus far:

•Rotors (2)
•Lower Ball Joints (2)
•Wheel Studs (10)
•Dust Caps (2)
•Re-manufactured Calipers (2)

Looking at the assembly, I have also noticed that there are a couple steel brake lines that wrap around the caliper, but have been not been able to locate them on the Fine Lines website. Does anyone know what they are called/what their part number is? Also, is there anything else I would need to completely get these brakes looking and working their very best before I install them on my car?

Thanks,

Sebastian aka thesnafu72

Look harder.
Fine Lines has those caliper hard lines.
I buy those things from them all the time, on a fairly regular basis, in my caliper rebuilding side line business.

year one also has them. seeing how your going that far down i'd replace the uppers and the bushings on the UCA and inner and outer tie rods. i too am doing a disc brake conversion on a 72 im going from 10 inch drums to BBP disc brakes i just got back in from my garage

The front end of my dart has all new tie rods and bushings already.. Everything is new or restored to perfection!

Do I need to buy new bearings too?
Also, do you know what part numbers the steel brake lines are?

id buy new bearings and races just for peace of mind as for the line numbers i have no idea i got really nice ones from a 74 valiant that im use-ing on mine

When I bought the '67 from uncle, he gave me pieces for the front. they are complete-rotor, calipers, brackets, spindles, one ball joint each...etc...and said they are manual disc. he also gave me the matching prop valve. I understand i have to change the prop valve and either the uper or lower control arm (not sure). but so I can rebuild these pieces prior to install, how do I find out what they are from? and do you know if the original master will work?

When you say "rotors" do you mean the complete hub & rotor assembly or just the replaceable rotors? You will need the disk hubs and preferably the dust shields.

I lost you when you said "rusty & dusty", though you have re-manufactured calipers. Is the spindle and hub/rotors that are rusty? Anyway, I wire-brush rust to bright metal and re-paint all my brake and steering parts.

I acquired a set that haven't been used in 8 years. They have been sitting on a shelf, outside, at my friend's father's house. I now have them in my trunk. They are still assembled, and have the upper control arms, though I do believe I will not need to use them. I would take a picture, but it is raining and much too dark. I'll upload one in the morning.

I went to my local parts supplier (California Auto Supply in Pomona, California) yesterday and placed an order for all that I listed in the first post of this thread. I haven't picked up the parts yet, but will tomo. I will ask about the rotors, and whether they are the complete assembly. I doubt it, though. Should I order hubs too? I was told to buy bearings and races- are those the same thing?

I'm sorry if I sound stupid but I haven't gotten a chance to reference my service manual..

Anyways, the calipers I ordered are made by A1 Cardone.
The lower ball joints are MOOG.

Here are a coupla pics..

Attachments

• photo(13).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 206
  • photo(12).jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 194
You might find evaporust a helpfull product when restoring brake part's. The rust will be gone with zero harm done to the metal,seals,etc. A couple litres/quarts is all you will need.

-
Back