SBP Steel wheels: How to tell if 5.5 or 6.5?

-

gregpurcell

Greg Purcell
Reaction score
I've got a bunch of 14 inch SBP steelies laying around with tires mounted on them. I'm packing the truck for Carlisle. Everybody wants the 5.5s and not the 6.5s. I'm not great at precision wheel measuring with the tires on (and yes, I know they are stamped if you dismount the tires)

Someone here once told me how to look at the back welds and tell them apart. I've lost that pm AND forgot who it was. Please help!
(Some pics would be even BETTER!)

Thanks in advance!
Greg

greg-- do you mean 4.5"

if you have both -- look at the front side the 5.5" has a slightly deeper dish-- really e-z to spot when side by side, Lawrence

If memory serves me, the spare tire rim was 4 1/2 wide, the 67-69 Barracuda usually had 5 1/2 wide and the later up to 72s had 6 1/2 wide. I think.

sbp only came in 4.5 & 5.5" versions 14" I do not think any other steel was made-- the ralleys I'm not sure on, Lawrence

sbp only came in 4.5 & 5.5" versions 14" I do not think any other steel was made-- the ralleys I'm not sure on, Lawrence

You are correct and the sbp ralleys are 5.5" also. There was never a 6.5" OEM factory wheel for sbp according to Hollander interchange.

I looked up wheel calipers online and built a set out of cardboard with a drywall screw for a pivot. They work. Cost- $0

I looked up wheel calipers online and built a set out of cardboard with a drywall screw for a pivot. They work. Cost- $0

I have a wheel caliper, but it would be easy to make one as stated above. They are designed to work with the tire mounted.

Greg the bbp has a 6" wheel-- but not the sbp, that 6" wheel is also uncommon-- read on here some time ago what vehicles came with it but cannot recall now.

If you have the 5.5" 14" wheels-- then your set for sbp.

here is a visual, basically the rim face sits farther down with the 5.5" wheel, the wheel with the tire is 4.5"

Attachments

• wind2013 010 (Large).jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 101
  • wind2013 011 (Large).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 100
x2 on that , 14 small bolt in a rallie were all 5.5, and 14 large bolt were 5.5, and 6 , but in the 30 plus years i think i seen maybe two 6 inch very uncommon.

-
Back