SBP to BBP emergency brakes?

-

robjkc

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of changing over to BBP discs with an 8.25 rear from a 74 Dart. I can purchase an emergency brake kit for my 64 Dart but am wondering what modifications I would need to do to work with the 8.25 rear. Has anyone dealt with this before?

Guess I could go ahead and purchase the kit and then see what modifications need to be made. Just hoping someone on here has gone through this already.

Thanks!

Getting ready to order the emergency brake kit tomorrow. Does anyone whose done the BBP swap have any suggestions?

I would just call whomever you are getting the brakes from and ask them. My 8 1/4 had the same e cable as an 8 3/4 if that helps. Not so sure bout a 7 1/4?

I would just call whomever you are getting the brakes from and ask them. My 8 1/4 had the same e cable as an 8 3/4 if that helps. Not so sure bout a 7 1/4?

Thanks Jeff! I talked with a tech at The Right Stuff today and he didn't seem to know, but maybe I should try talking to a different tech.

Guess I could order the kit and just see how it goes.

I did this once before. When you remove the 7¼ from your car, take the brakes apart and remove the cable from the rear shoes. Take care not to damage the plastic ferrule (I don't know what else to call it.) that holds the cable in place where it passes through the backing plate.

Later model rears have a pigtail that comes out of the rear brakes the connect to the main E-brake cable at a link. You would not need to mess with taking the brakes apart. If your 8¼ has the pigtails, you can install the main cable and links from a later model. The donor car for the cable would have to be a Dart or Swinger (no Demon/Dart Sport) for the length to be right. A 73 > Valiant 4-door would work too.

-
Back