sbp to big bbp

-

reddishdsb

Reaction score
Is it safe to have the axles redrilled or better to get new axles?

ive heard of people re drilling them, i called dr. diff and ordered a set of bbp axles for the stock a body brakes. then all i did was had my stock drums re drilled that way i didnt have to go to a b body brake setup which is around .4" wider on each side

Well look at it this way. If you redrill a SBP axle, it's at least 45 years old! I would go new.

Is it safe to have the axles redrilled or better to get new axles?
Go new. I just had all these same questions for the forum last week and just ordered new today.
You will need to address the back brakes though. Get some junkyard backing plates and brakes off a dodge diplomat say 1980-89 they will work with the new axles and are also 10x2.5 so the are bigger and better stopping power.
Good luck

ive heard of people re drilling them, i called dr. diff and ordered a set of bbp axles for the stock a body brakes. then all i did was had my stock drums re drilled that way i didnt have to go to a b body brake setup which is around .4" wider on each side

X2

the 5x4 axles have so little material around flange to drill on its not really worth it. There are also the holes for backing plate bolt access that would have to be welded up. Here are my new Dr Diff 8 3/4 axles with our disk conversion kits bound for the 67 vert GT. I have been Yukon dealer since 90's and my cost is $20 more than Dr Diff. Axles arrived in 2 days after I called. Dr Diff is the real deal in axles, call him!

brakes.jpg

STREETER_BLACK.jpg

no problem redrilling to 4.5", just make sure to go with screw in studs. no holes need to be welded up. I ran 12 second 1/4 miles with slicks and a standard trans for decades without a problem

-
Back