Sbp vs lbp

-

Fisher

Old Guy with a Cool car.
Reaction score
I have a 71 Duster, the owner has an 8-3/4 for sale with it for an A body with SBP axles. Is that considered weak at all, or will it work fine with a 400 hp small block automatic car? I am not sure i need to go to large bolt pattern axles for a low 12 second street car with street tires. What are the disadvantages if any?

8 3/4 is the rear of choice for a mopar--- especially an "a" body duster--- if the price is good snap it up. Lawrence

oh i am getting it with the car no question. I am just wondering if i should leave it as a SBP or swap axles and drums to LBP is it worth the cost?

yep, the small bolt pattern doesn't denote a 'weakness' of any sort compared to bbp, it's just a bolt pattern.

I put 400 through my sbp 8 3/4 for ages, no problem at all (also small block auto).

edit- and there's no reason to swap just to do it, only if you have extenuating circumstances (like having bbp on the front and wanting them to match).

Going to go with Cragar SS wheels. Can you get a SBP disc brake kit out there as well?

No problem at all with the SBP and 400 hp. I've known guys running 500 hp for yrs. with the SBP and not had any issues. The only thing I'd do is upgrade the studs to 1/2".

The factory had 'Kelsey haynes' disks with four piston calipers unfilled bbp came out. Find a set of those for the front end and call it good.

with 400hp + is the car drum or disc up front? That would be the deciding factor for me. If its drum. It would be wise to go to a disc set up. Choice of wheel does drastically improve

Going to go with Cragar SS wheels. Can you get a SBP disc brake kit out there as well?

Yes you can buy factory kelsey hayes disc brakes with small bolt pattern.
It should be noted that most all of them require rebuild and the calipers parts along with typical front end rebuild parts like upper and lower ball joints get pretty expensive for the 72 and earlier small bolt pattern cars.

Might consider using 73+ big bolt pattern disc brakes if you are planning to upgrade the brakes and if the front ball joints need replacing.

I would only stay with the small bolt disc brakes if I already had them personally. But it just depends on the scope of your project, your long term goals, and budget of course.

Only thing bbp gives you is wheel choice , I'm using sbp with the K H disk brakes and they stop me very well at the track . Stops straight as an arrow . If you have drums I'd switch to disks , might be cheaper to do disk conversion with LBP as SBP disk set up is getting expensive .

-
Back