Scam Phone Calls?

-

RTom

Depressingly A-Bodyless..
Reaction score
So, I just listed my Dodge Ram on the local craigslist and within about 15 minutes I get a call from a guy ( foreign accent but 208 area code ) saying that he is approved for a $6500 auto loan through his credit union and that he wants me to meet him there as soon as possible because he really wants this truck. I told him that I won't have time to do so until Monday after class and he says that is fine but then started to stress how he wanted me to remove my ad from craigslist...repeatably. It seemed a little fishy to me...

I'm used to the scam emails and stuff but I've never had a phone call ( especially local ) so I'm really unsure if it is legit or not...

Any ideas guys? :munky2:

You never know. There are some strange people out there. He could just be a little off. I would just tell him cash only.

um, sounds like scam to me....leave your ad up on craigslist....if he calls back on monday, cool....

anytime they want you to remove the ad, it's a scam, if you do meet this clown, tell him cash only, and I'd take a few friends along just in case he wants to get stupid.

Most of the time they want you to remove it because they have one on there for sale them selves and doesn't want the competition.

Another reason is because you have it listed at a fair price and they just don't want to loose out. I don't really see a scam if they wanted to meet at the credit union where they could have handed you cash, just don't take a check or anything.

I don't include my phone number or email addresses in Craigslist ads to avoid scammers and spammers.

There are cases where people will ask you to eet them somewhere to "buy" something from you, and then mug you when you show up.

The area code on a caller ID really doesn't mean much, either. Someone that knows what they're doing can show anything they want on your display.

It could be ligit, but if you decide to move ahead, be cautious. Make sure you can call the guy back. Ask him for his name and see if the credit union will verify the loan approval. It could be a big wate of time, or more dangerous.

Most of the time they want you to remove it because they have one on there for sale them selves and doesn't want the competition.

Another reason is because you have it listed at a fair price and they just don't want to loose out. I don't really see a scam if they wanted to meet at the credit union where they could have handed you cash, just don't take a check or anything.[/QUOTE
Yeah and another trick the competitors use is just to flag you ad. For that amount of money I would be meeting him at a bank/credit union and receive cash, no checks, straight from the bank, no worries about fake money that way.
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck its probably a duck with a scam, trust no one.

Here's a little tip from your Uncle MoparMuscleGuy. When dealing with Craigslist, Only except cash. Never meet at your house, set up meetings at your local bank. Most crooks would never enter a bank with all the cameras. Have the teller check the money for counterfeit notes. If he was approved for a loan for a vehicle, he can just as easily bring you the cash for the truck. The buyer must play by your rules or tell him to hit the road. MMG

You meet the weirdest people on Flakeslist. Probably legit, but this guy might be too annoying to deal with.

i have had the same type of runaround calls and e mails .now i just ignore them!

-
Back