Scamp front end conversion

-

BlkArrow

Reaction score
Well, I have a 1973 Duster, and was considering selling it to get an earlier year, or if this one had too much work to do....but I found a possible donor car on craigslist. It is a scamp for 200$, no anything really just shell and frame. Does it require much work? I mean does it need any welding of brackets or anything? This front end is complete, minus the grille...
SO IF ANYONE HAS A GRILLE PM ME...lol...thats if I decided to buy this.

So my questions ---
*How hard is the conversion?
*Would that scamp be worth 200$? I would swap the front end and sell the rest of the parts. (he has a 73 hood that would come with it, it has good bench, and other interior parts, good glass, cluster)
*What grille would be compatible with this front end? (I know 70-72 scamp/(dart right?) But what about something like a 69 valiant grille?)
Thanks in advance, Tim.

What year is the scamp I assume 71-72 if that is right you would need a 70-72 duster, valiant or scamp grill for exact fitment. I think your right a 69 valiant grill can be fitted but i think it requires some fab work on the mounting brackets. If you can get a whole shell of a car with a good front clip minus a grill for 200.00 i say go for it That is a good deal i think Shoot I paid 75 bucks a peice for the front fenders for my wifes dart and i got a steal on them so you would get the fenders, hood bumper and hood latch panel, and bottom filler panel you need plus the other misc stuff you wont think about till you start the swap. I would do it if i were you anyway. It should all bolt right over to your duster and be a fairly easy swap. I hope you go for it, if so good luck Justin

Well it is a 73 scamp, but it has a 72 front end conversion on it :). Hence the extra 73 hood that would come with it. But I figured if I got it I would take the front end, and dash pad. Part out the rest...I guess from what the guys says it is a solid car, It just was hit bad in the front end (he found significant welding on frame).
How much do you think a set of good solid doors would go for? Or a rear bumper? Decklid? Bench seat? and how much scrap could I get for the rest?
WOW looking at nice grilles, a grille will be more expensive than the car lol.

That is the catch the doors, decklid bumper and all the big sheetmetal is worth a little bit but you would have to sell it to someone close cause shipping is a pain it usually as much as what you sell it for but i would assume if you could find someone local you could sell the doors as complete units (with windows, regulators, lock mechanisms etc.) for 75 or more each the bumper probably 25-50 the decklid probably another 50ish and so on for the rest of the parts. So if you could sell some of that off you get the car free thats an even better deal Good luck justin

Yeah, I wouldn't try to ship them...shipping would be more than the part. Thanks a lot for your quick response! I really appreciate it. Tim.

Also how much different is a dart front end to a scamp front end? I can see that it has a different bumper and has a something under the bumper that looks something like some kind of valence. How do the fenders compare? If I wanted to put those dart components on it in the future would they fit? Is it that the dart has like a two piece grille or is the whole mounting process different?

Also would a dart grille fit in there? I assume it would but now looking at the two front ends they do look quite different.

Now that I look closer it looks like whole different hood, fenders, and bumpers, right?...

Yeah the dart front clip is totally different the dart/demon/dartsport share nothing at all front clip sheetmetal wise with it plymouth cousin the valiant/duster/scamp so if you wanted to do that in the future you will be looking for a totally different clip from the fenders and hood forward.

Ok, I just realized how different just by comparing pictures, I personally find the dart front end to look more agressive and would love to have that, but I suppose that would be a pretty pricey conversion...I don't know whether I dare to do the conversion or not, afraid of finding unwanted rust and rot :(.

After reading into a conversion a bit more, I have read that there might be some fabrication of brackets...but for what I am a little confused on, would anyone be willing to help me with this? Or would this be different since I am not putting a dart front end on it? Since it is another plymouth would I still need to fabricate any brackets?

Also if I wanted to put a 69 valiant grille I would need to fabricate mounting brackets right? I really like that grille and would love to know what exactly I have to modify to get it to work.

Ps, thanks a lot Justin for all of your help!, Tim.

Hey bill the only brackets i know of wouldnt apply to you, Duster/valiant/scamp fenders shape wise are the same from 70-76 the only difference being marker lights on the 70-71 are different from the 72-76 fenders and the 70-72 fenders had a little L shaped bracket on the front inside part of the fender where the hood latch panel bolted on. On the 73-76 fenders you have to add that bracket if you want to make the stock fenders work with a 70-72 hood cause they hold that hood latch panel. But if your front clip is off a 72 scamp the brackets will already be on the new fenders so you will not need to worry about those. Those are the only brackets I can think of that are any different and would need any fab work I cant think of anything else the whole new front clip should just bolt on to your car. I am not sure what all is required to fit the 69 valiant grill but this thread might help http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=39998 Hope that thread can help you since i cant on that one. Also another grill that looks awesome in a scamp is the duster sharkstooth grill I personally like that one a lot but they are very spendy You may want to look at that one also. Good Luck Justin

Wow thanks a lot :), you certainly helped me a lot. From what the seller says it is "an all plymouth 72 front end conversion" on the scamp. So everything would be there for me. I am happy to hear no fabrication...not enough time and I do not have a welder. I know I could rent one but that would get a little spendy also.
I also love the sharkstooth grill and would love one! But one with broken tabs would run me 400$ then I would need to repair it. But I saw a pretty much NOS 69 valiant grille on ebay yesterday for 200$. I wish there were junkyards around me that had old mopars, specifically a bodies :). Thanks for all your help again and thanks for your speedy responses.! Tim.

Anyone know if a/c glass and dash are worth a bit more? I guess this scamp has an ac dash and glass.

-
Back