scarebird 9 inch conversion leak glitch -a helpful post

-

64longroof

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Did the Scarebird 9 inch brake conversion. I had a frustrating time trying to figure out why the Celebrity brake caliper-to-Eldorado brake hose connection kept leaking. It ended up being that this particluar set of Eldo brake hoses had a little too much metal near where the hoses bolted to the calipers. It was so little that it did not cause a visible misalignment of the 2 parts' and the copper washer between them. Everything looked nice and flush together. In fact , the clue that there was any poor fitment was in that the copper washer between where the hose and the caliper meet was not being crushed evenly (see grooves in washer in photo 1). This got me to looking at the hose end and caliper surfaces, and noticed a slight indentation in the metal of the brake line connection where it was crushed against the caliper casting, to the side of the caliper bolt hole.
I ground off the perpendicular edge of the brake hose connection (photo 2) so it was beveled (arrow,photo 3). I could also have ground the caliper casting until the 2 pieces fit.
Both hose/caliper pairs needed this remedy.
I hope this saves some less experienced (and even experienced) mechanics some frustration.
005.jpg
004.jpg
002.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back