Scattershield Clearance Issues

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
This thread popped up elsewhere recently and I have pictures of a small block Mopar scattershield and blow plate.
Barracuda280-vi.jpg

On the left is the "Can" which is your bellhousing and containment for any metal that might seperate and possibly come through the floorboard and injure either the driver, or a by-stander.

On the right is the "Blow Plate" that get's sandwiched between the bellhousing and the engine block. The plate goes against the block BEFORE you mount the flywheel. Now everything that's spinning on the back of your engine is contained if anything should let loose.
Barracuda279-vi.jpg

The holes I'm pointing out are the ones that will ruin your day trying to get tight if you install this after the engine goes in. These top 4 holes are for nut's & bolts with lock washers. Yeah...imagine juggling all that in a REAL TIGHT area. It's easier to install at the least just the scattershield with the engine. Once it's in you can bolt up the transmission seperately. To remove the shield (say, to do a clutch job) you'll need some flex-sockets and a good selection of extensions, maybe a cut wrench or two, but you can get it off in the car. It's just not something I'd enjoy doing.

And I just realized that the Can needs to be stripped and painted too. Man, it never ends.....:eye:

Thanks for the heads up. This is just me, but if I had a problem like that, I would consider drilling a hole through the fire wall to install the bolts. Then fill them with rubber or plastic plugs. I can appreciate doing things correctly, but my car is not a show car. Must feel good to have that protection there, huh? I was just watching on t.v. a burnout competition and was thinking of all those people standing around watching, and remembered the blown up trans pics in this forum. Spooky.

-
Back