school me on drivetrain tech

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
i know very little about how pretty much anything works in a cars drivetrain, to be honest.

particularly, what is a mini spool or a spool at all?

i ask because im lookin into buyin an a-body 8 3/4. i asked the seller if it was posi or not an he said its non-posi but "a mini-spool would fix her up though"

whats that mean? does that mean i could make it posi?

A spool is meant for full on track duty only, a mini spool is mainly track use and very limited street duty. With what your trying to do with your car, you just want a limited slip unit (Posi is Chevy version of it, Mopar called theirs Suregrip). so try and find a suregrip unit that is a clutch style (they are rebuildable) , a cone will work but if they go bad you'll have to exchange it with (Auburn or Eaton).

a mini spool or full size spool more or less couples both axles together so they spin the same, not a wise choice for a street driven car, if both tires are turning the same rate going around a corner or on a wet road it gets a bit dangerous. They are best suited for going in a straight line as in drag racing.

wow thanks for the quick respoinces guy, greatly appreciated.

man that kinda sux for me though. the rear comes with 3.23 gears, which are the gear i wanted, but as a SG unit. im assuming theres nothin i can do but swap out for a SG unit?

If it an A body 8 3/4 buy it anyway, they're hard to find. You can always put a suregrip unit it, hell if you find any center section 741, 742, 489, the suregrip unit will work with any of those carriers

oh believ me, duster, i wanna buy it anyway. this thing is a freakin steal if i understand the ad correctly. complete drum to drum 8 3/4 3.23 gears, $200+shipping

is there an ad for it? if so pm me and I can take a look at it give thumb up or down on it if you like (I don't need another 8 3/4 got one already, just trying to help).

oh believ me, duster, i wanna buy it anyway. this thing is a freakin steal if i understand the ad correctly. complete drum to drum 8 3/4 3.23 gears, $200+shipping

Yeah they are like gold now days, but if you ever want to shorten the axles and mini tub the car to put wide, deep dish wheels in the back, sell the A body unit uncut and buy a B body rear end and shorten that so as to not ruin a desirable A-body housing, but do what you want with it if it's your's.

You can buy a new centersection with a new sure grip unit ready to bolt in but it's gonna cost you.

I am looking forward to this richmond gear instructional video so I can see how to do this right myself.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=76744
Guys like this make FABO tower high above other mopar sites.

Hey, good luck with your car and in time you will learn soooo much stuff here and soon will be contributing your knowledge to others through your experiences.:thumblef:

You better jump on that, that is a steal for an a body 8 3/4. The last one I found was 500.00.

-
Back