school me on ebay/paypal

-

camd64

Remember Landy
Reaction score
ok so I finally need to get some items off ebay but need to know the what NOT to do's and what to do's. I just got a paypal account going too. Any tips or addvice? Thanks, Johnny. :read2:

it takes patience but over time you will learn to hate ebay and paypal as much as the rest of us

ALWAYS! get a tracking number when shipping. i got burned bad once on some rims the guy lucked out on and got for 50 bucks! Darn guy said i never sent them and got all his money back! im still angry about that.

Anyway also for ebay i always use photobuckets HTML links to post pictures on ebay so i dont have to pay a million dollars for pictures. Photobucket under your pictures lists html links basicaly in ebay in the description you click the button on the top that says html and paste the html links in there. its "sort of" like how you post pictures on here. i wish i could explain it better.

Pay thru paypal w/ a credit card. It gives you an extra level of protection.

.........I have used Ebay and Paypal...............I like it.........get them 2 print off a shipping label thru paypal...............kim.............

Always check the seller's feedback to see how he responds to problems like people not receiving their purchase or item not as stated or shown.
Ask questions as to the quality of the item especially if it is used.
Are you buying the item pictured or is it a 'stock' pic.
Make sure of the shipping cost. There may be 'handling' charges. Ask first.
If the item is on auction, decide how much you are willing to pay and stick to that figure. Don't get caught up in a bidding frenzy.
Don't be the first bidder.Wait til the auction is close to ending and make you bid then.
If the seller doesn't tell you when you should receive your item, within a day or so, ASK.
Make sure your address is complete so the seller has no problems shipping it.
Before giving a feedback, make sure the item works.
If it doesn't work contact the seller right away. If you don't get a response in a day or so contact eBay. They will put a hold on your payment to keep the $ from the seller until the conflict is settled. Some shady sellers will try to fend you off for 45 days because after that eBay will do nothing for you. That goes for not receiving your item too.
If you use a credit card for pay pal there will be no problems as the seller will get his money.

I've bought or sold about 2000 items over the last 10 years. Only dealt with maybe 5 assholes. Never really been burned.

I've been doin bidness on ebay and Paypal since 1999. In all that time, I've only been treated badly once. Here's the rule I follow. I only buy from sellers with 99.5% or better feedback. That may sound picky, but lets do some math. Say for simplicity a seller has a feedback score of 1500. Say they have a 90% feedback rating. That may sound good at firat glance but sucks. Here's why. 90% of 1500 is 1350. 1350 minus 1500 is 150. That means that 150 people had reason to leave something other than good feedback. Let's take it a step further. Lets say a seller has a feedback score of 15,000. That same seller with a 90% rating now has 1500 people that left something other than good feedback. See what I mean?

I've been doin bidness on ebay and Paypal since 1999. In all that time, I've only been treated badly once. Here's the rule I follow. I only buy from sellers with 99.5% or better feedback. That may sound picky, but lets do some math. Say for simplicity a seller has a feedback score of 1500. Say they have a 90% feedback rating. That may sound good at firat glance but sucks. Here's why. 90% of 1500 is 1350. 1350 minus 1500 is 150. That means that 150 people had reason to leave something other than good feedback. Let's take it a step further. Lets say a seller has a feedback score of 15,000. That same seller with a 90% rating now has 1500 people that left something other than good feedback. See what I mean?

That feedback rating goes back for one year so that seller may be worse in the past.

Hi John, I've been selling and buying on ebay since 2000. I find since opening a Paypal account I no longer have to wait for payment to come through the mail. Ebay members with 100% feedback usually will pay for items immediately, so you really need to provide the same consideration by having the item packed,labelled and sent out in a timely fashion. I always print out the buyers address including fragile labels then cut and tape them to the box, to ensure the postman has no excuses about legibility and doesn't punt package like a football. If your sending an irreplacable big ticket item get a tracking number before mailing, if buyer does not want insurance, then make it clear your not responsible if it shows up in a milllion pieces. I'm so picky about my packing to ensure a damage free delivery, that if the buyer doesn't want the insurance I'm usually not concerned. Never had anything damaged in transit.
When buying items the plus about using paypal it helps to ensure that you will receive the item quick in most cases.
Some dumbass's on ebay feel they can take the opportunity to make a profit off shipping costs, you need to be leery about these individuals. Ebay prefers the shipping costs to be already present before hand in the auction, sometimes this is not possible especially when shipping cost is determined by the weight, size and the distance required for the item to reach its destination. In these kind of senario's(like up here in Canada, no flat rate shipping) one must clearly state that the shipping needs to be determined based on the buyers address, and at the end of the auction please do not pay till I have forwarded an invoice because my shipping is not free. Trust me if you don't have that in big red bold letters, buyers will send payment for just the cost of the item. When selling car parts you know as well as I do, people that own muscle/ classic cars are very particular about stuff they put on their cars, try to describe the item as precise and clearly as possible so the buyer has no suprises. Its important to maintain a 100% feedback rating, then other members will trust that you responsible, reliable, fair, honest and so on.There is alot of times where members have received negative feedback when it was not justifiable, for example slow shipping, a majority of the time this is the postal service's problem not the seller. Canada Post or U.S.P.S are not consistent, if item has to travel across the border then it needs to pass through three sets of hands(post office, customs, post office) Make it clear to out of country buyers to have patience inregards to waiting for the arrival of an item of the exact reason I just mentioned. Some countries you will want nothing to do with, the majority of the people I buy from and sell to are Americans and Canadians. I have shipped overseas before, but its very expensive, especially by airmail.
For the 10 years I've used ebay, the only problems I've had(not to often) is with the odd individual that has a very bad attitude problem, nothing to do with the transaction itself, just people that are born to be A-holes. I'm not hard up for money and will not take crap from anyone if its not justified, for that reason I've had to refuse to sell to people like this or even refund their money and unfortunately not complete the transaction.
O.k I will shut up now, hope I provided a bit of insight.

Be very carfeul of phishing sites...sites that are sent to your email and when you click on the link it looks like a valid EBay or PayPal site, but it is a scam to get your username and password and then the fun begins. Buddy of mine lost $2500 because of one. Always make sure it says paypal.com or signin.ebay.ca or com in the URL window at the top. Although Windows is now decent at catching a phishing site.

Ok so I finally found the parts I needed after e-mailing a guy who had one of the parts listed but the others where not. Im wondering how to go about this? is there an invoice that he e-mails me or??? Thanks for all your guys input on this! Johnny.

X2 What JTG said, I have been buying and selling for 11 years and it is Great for finding parts for anything, The key is FEEDBACK, if they have good feedback you should have no problems. Paypal will cover your back in any situation where you may have a problem, be patient. Good Luck.

-
Back