Scott Kalitta Killed In Crash

-
Here's some aerial pictures of the track.
There appears to be a road to the airport at the end.
The sand trap doesn't really look very big.

dragway4.jpg

dragway.jpg

dragway2.jpg

My condolences go out to his family and friends!

dragway4.jpg

dragway.jpg

dragway2.jpg

I am shocked and dismayed. This has to be one of the worst accidents I have seen in drag racing. I saw a Pendregon in an interview yesterday saying something about the shutdown area being inadequate. Seems that we have lost too many good people lately in FC. I'm thinking John Force spoke too soon on his TV show when commenting on his daughter racing FC and said nobody had ever died in one. I never used to say Karma without a kanic behind it.......
My family's thoughts and prayers to the Kalitta clan.

Rev.

Yes at 300+ you need at least another mile to stop. I heard several pros yesterday call to have all stips either longer to stop or shut them down. I think in todays cars they need more room. Back when it was only 200-250, like that is not fast right... they were balreley OK. Hell I used to drive a modified comp car in the 9s and had a hel of a time getting ot to stop at times on some tracks. But back then we did not have a chute in the clas either.

Man it is so sad, but I think the fire was was horrific, even though he had an awesome suit fire extingwisher system etc. That fire and exposion was a terrible thing.

Man it made me sad and sick..

That was tragic to say the least, he has two young kids, 8 and 14 I believe which makes it that much worse. Very sad.

I had a party to go to Saturday night, but I was gonna try to get to the track for a few hours beforehand. I'm pretty damn happy I didn't, I wouldn't have wanted to see that firsthand.

Stunned. I'm sorry I picked this sad news up so late. What a terrifying spectacle.
Well done to all those whom have tendered their thoughts and condolences to the Kalitta family. May I add mine too.
God Bless.

Mike

I don't say much around here sorry, this is a nice tribute, thanks guys.

Rest In Peace Scott.

Alot of us are focusing on the crash and not the fire. How about the fire guys? What condition would he have been in after that kind of fire?

It didn't look like Scott was using the hand brake or trying to slide the car at all. Of course at that speed it must be done with a huge amount of care, but knowing how short the shutdown area is at that racetrack I think he would have been doing everything he can to get the car slowed down. Makes me wonder if he was not already knocked out or fatally wounded in the explosion. It might be time for the NHRA to look at a cocoon type cockpit similar to what Unlimited Hydroplanes or Drag Boats use for the Funny Cars.

Condolences to the Kalitta family & Race Teams.

What's up with that wall anyway? I used to race at Great Lakes Dragway and least someone could end up in a corn field if worse came to worse.

i haven't seen the very end of the Bandimere track thank goodness.

ram charger, i used to race at the same spot!, you are right.

-
Back