Screws in side wall for slicks

-

fatoldguy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Have a question for the racers out there. I have a new set of aluminum wheels for my slicks . The slicks are spinning on the rim , would it be ok to put screws only in the back side and not in the front , would the slick twist . I hate to put screws in the front side of the wheel.

no need to screw, use a little high tack where the tire bead hits the rim, works on a 9.50 car so _______

I don't know. All my rims that have screws have them on both sides. (Four sets of centerlines). I have heard of single side bead locks, either for caliper clearance or for "show". If single side beadlocks work.......?
As above, you could glue both and just screw the inside.

Tubeless? Bias or Radial? Tire vs rim size vs pressure?

Many moon ago, before Radials, I had a BB 4spd car that slipped with and without tubes. My problem was trying to run too big a tire on a small rim, like a 10/11" tire on a 7/8" rim. Good contact patch required 14 to 18 lbs with a hard compound tire on a 3800 lb car.

I borrowed a 10" set, tire & rim, from a buddy for about 2 dozen runs and no slip on those. Problem with that was raising the car to fit and throwing the rear suspension all out wack.

Tubeless? Bias or Radial? Tire vs rim size vs pressure?

Many moon ago, before Radials, I had a BB 4spd car that slipped with and without tubes. My problem was trying to run too big a tire on a small rim, like a 10/11" tire on a 7/8" rim. Good contact patch required 14 to 18 lbs with a hard compound tire on a 3800 lb car.

I borrowed a 10" set, tire & rim, from a buddy for about 2 dozen runs and no slip on those. Problem with that was raising the car to fit and throwing the rear suspension all out wack.
Tubeless radials 15" rims .

Have a question for the racers out there. I have a new set of aluminum wheels for my slicks . The slicks are spinning on the rim , would it be ok to put screws only in the back side and not in the front , would the slick twist . I hate to put screws in the front side of the wheel.
Mine are screwed both sides.
Try the glue... all else fails go with the tried and true

You learn something new everyday. Im not a racer, did not here of such a thing. I read putting screws in tires and thought this outta be good! But learned something new today. Thanks FABO

Another option would be to grit / shot blast the inside of the rims where the tire bead touches. That will add texture and help the rubber grip the wheel.

Almost forgot. There are those that say you should NEVER use screws with radials. I'm not sure why. Maybe thats where the idea for glue came from.
I know that the guys that are SERIOUSLY fast have ALL invested in double bead locks. Not cheap.At least $700/wheel, can be LOTS more.

Dual bead locks for radials. You cannot screw a radial.. But if you don't run tubes with 20 lbs and up they stay in place on a mild 10 second car

Screw both side for slicks with tubes .

You can glue either but wait until you go to break the bead to change them. With the soft side wall it is nearly impossible depending on the glue.

Another option would be to grit / shot blast the inside of the rims where the tire bead touches. That will add texture and help the rubber grip the wheel.

That's a idea that sounds promising. Mine from the earlier post were Cragar SS. The ones that didn't slip were SuperTricks and those wheels didn't have that shiny lip.

-
Back