Sealer for fender to inner fender.....

-
Yes, it was a liquid foam sealer at the time of installation. If you have the fenders off and want to reseal them I'd use something like 3M strip caulk which will do the job but still allow you to get them off again.

The factory used dum dum, it's a gray putty like substance you can get it at any camper parts dealer. The factory used a caulk gun to apply it but I got a role of it that was 1" wide 3/16" thick and the role had about 25' on it. I just cut it to fit the area and stuck it on, it went on easy and looked great.

And if you look at an original car, you will quickly realize that they did not think how it would look 40 years later.

The factory used dum dum, it's a gray putty like substance you can get it at any camper parts dealer. The factory used a caulk gun to apply it but I got a role of it that was 1" wide 3/16" thick and the role had about 25' on it. I just cut it to fit the area and stuck it on, it went on easy and looked great.

On my '70 it was not a dum dum type material. In fact, it was the same foam-like substance used to seal the bottom of the quarters to the trunk extensions. You can see where it oozed out and cured with bubbles in it. Perhaps other years or plants used a putty. I know they used a putty around areas of the windshield seal.

-
Back