Sealing a 6 pack hood

-

71dustar

Reaction score
So I have been contemplating building an aluminum intake shroud to seal the 6 pack hood of my duster to the carb. Here in arizona the ambient air temperature is still considerably hot but will of course be a considerable amount cooler than the engine bay ambient air temperature. I have a few questions and opinions are more than welcomed.

Has anyone made an intake shroud?
Have any problems with the pressure differences since the air will be rammed into the carb?
Should there be a small bleed off hole for when the vehicle reaches higher speeds and over ramming will become a problem?
Should the air cleaner now become dome shaped to allow the air to turn 90 degrees into the carb vs an s shaped curve to enter the side of the air cleaner?

During testing I stuck a thermocouple inside the air cleaner and was reading a consistent 120degree air temperature. After reading a good book by Carrol Smith, he states something that it is possible to achieve 1% air density for every 3-5 degree F drop in air temperature.

The goal for the shroud is:
1) have fun R&D
2) improve my metal working skills and welding (always trying to become better at anything in life)
3) improve the performance of the engine by optimizing my already fixed variables

Please let me know your thoughts.

So I have been contemplating building an aluminum intake shroud to seal the 6 pack hood of my duster to the carb. Here in arizona the ambient air temperature is still considerably hot but will of course be a considerable amount cooler than the engine bay ambient air temperature. I have a few questions and opinions are more than welcomed.

Has anyone made an intake shroud?
Have any problems with the pressure differences since the air will be rammed into the carb?
Should there be a small bleed off hole for when the vehicle reaches higher speeds and over ramming will become a problem?
Should the air cleaner now become dome shaped to allow the air to turn 90 degrees into the carb vs an s shaped curve to enter the side of the air cleaner?

During testing I stuck a thermocouple inside the air cleaner and was reading a consistent 120degree air temperature. After reading a good book by Carrol Smith, he states something that it is possible to achieve 1% air density for every 3-5 degree F drop in air temperature.

The goal for the shroud is:
1) have fun R&D
2) improve my metal working skills and welding (always trying to become better at anything in life)
3) improve the performance of the engine by optimizing my already fixed variables

Please let me know your thoughts.
:banghead:
in the process (on and off) w/ a 6 pack hood on a 68 barracuda. have made a foam ring lined bottom air pan, had to use an offset air filter base to center the filter in the engine bay. will have to make a 24x28" sheet of fiberglass to glass to the bottom of the hood(when it gets warmer) then cut a hole in it to fit the airpan foam ring. that`s the plan so far anyway!----bob:banghead:

-
Back