Sealing Carb To Scoop

-

A/MP

Reaction score
Any Pics On How You Seal Your Carb To Scoop. If You Are Using Some Type Of Filter It Would Be Even Better. Thanks

ill give this a bump since im going to be doing this too soon and its nice to see previous examples

ill give this a bump since im going to be doing this too soon and its nice to see previous examples

I don't have any pictures, but we used an air cleaner base and closed cell rubber ( like ensolite or used for truck bed- TSC has them) about an inch and 1/2 thick to seal to hood- took a little time to trim correctly. Hoope that helps

If i was able to take a pic i would. Hopefully i will be able to get back under the hood in a few weeks.

All i did was cut the lid so it just fits over the filter. Then wrapped the top edge of the base with pipe insualtion to make it seal to the hood. Simple and effective.

its a big one to fit the duel demon scoop, i just used a cheap chrome cleaner screwed to .080 aluminum, with moroso foam, It did make a difference in seat of the pants dyno.

71 Demon 340 (15).jpg

old neighbor has a 69 Lemans with a 13:1 455 in it. we built a fresh air system, like a Thunderbolts for it. He had 4 headlights so we took the high beams out, did some cutting on the core support and used a factory style air filter housing with a a second "snorkel" welded to it. In the heat of the summer in AZ his car picked up a little over a tenth.

ive seen the moroso carb pans before, but id rather make one myself...they sell them with fire retardant foam, and ive heard alot of guys say it makes a big difference if a carb fire happens, but i think i could probably buy the foam and sheet aluminum seperately for cheaper than the moroso stuff

Not space shuttle technoligy ,but it gets the job done.I made one from galvanized sheetmetal and a house door seal i got from lowes.I cut a hole in the sheetmetal the same size as the air horn on the carb ,and the seal is sandwiched between the sheetmetal pan and air horn when the hood is closed.Im using a 60's red plexi scoop on the hood.I think the sheetmetal i made the pan from and the door seal cost me about $4.00 total ,and my car gained a little over a tenth in the 1/8 afterwards ,with no other mods.Mine is on my drag only Dart and im not running an air filter.I use a shower cap to cover the air horn while im transporting the car to keep crud out of the carb .Heres a few pics ...

100_2353.jpg

100_2352.jpg

its a big one to fit the duel demon scoop, i just used a cheap chrome cleaner screwed to .080 aluminum, with moroso foam, It did make a difference in seat of the pants dyno.

you didnt get any flex using that thickness aluminum did you? and how heavy did it end up being?

-
Back