Sealing small block timing cover/water pump bolts?

-

polkat

Reaction score
Just wondering which of these bolts need sealing, and if simple silicon will work okay?

Well, I have water from the 4 bolts around the water pump outlets, which is normal, and oil from some of the lower ones (which may be residual). Guess I'll seal them all.

I use the black high temp locktite RTV on all threads that'll see glycol or oil. Use the same on the gaskets. Let the RTV gas off for at least 30 minutes before final torquing. It needs to be said also that you only need a very thin film, you won't find any GOOBS of RTV drooping off my engines. Also the bolts that go through the water pump discharges I use flat washers with RTV on both faces. One other thing, I install the pump dry with the gaskets then measure the total depth of the hole and cut the bolts to the proper length. The flat washer will back the bolt out 2 threads and bottom tap all the threaded holes. Sounds anal I know but I hate putting a 2 inch bolt in a hole made for 2 1/4" and try buying a 2 1/4" length bolt.

Terry

I use automotive pipe sealer cause it's easier to clean off than silicone if I take it back apart. Never had one leak yet. All things mentioned above will work fine. It's just a matter of personal preference as to what you use.

-
Back