Sealing up 340

-

duct tape

Reaction score
So i'm in the middle of replacing all my gaskets in my 340 and i'm not to impressed with the apparent thousands of dollars that was spent by the last owner. Found the entire left bank pistons with the notches pointing to the rear and the right bank pointing forward, the right way. Also found half of the rings lined up on the thrust side of the pistons. Fck someone paid for this great service! Makes me wonder

If you question anybody's work at all.
Tear it down and do it your-self.
Did the guy have receipts on the motor?

no receipts, figured i'd take a chance. Seemed to run fine. Maybe after its back together it'll run a bit smoother

Bores that are out of round will tend to have the ring gaps all lined up on the side that out the furthest.

as long as the valve notches r correct for the valves...its not that big of a deal and can actually free up torque by lightening the side/skirt load...though they be a lil noiser..its ok and an old trick for power-mentioned by smokey yunick in his books.
However one side being different says that maybe a retarded uncle brother named fred bob must have put it together..lol

Someone who doesn't know Mopar.The original trick was to install the lesser offset side of the piston towards the major thrust side,reducing friction.IIRC.

Someone who doesn't know Mopar.The original trick was to install the lesser offset side of the piston towards the major thrust side,reducing friction.IIRC.

Yup. I pressed all the pistons for my 318 on backwards. Frees up a little HP with stock pistons.

Long lost speed secrets can beat billet silliness in the right hands,can't they?

Reverse the pistons- cold slap, but minimal HP. Rings move around.

Garlits wrote about it making a difference at the track so there must be something to it. Haven't you read his book? You are from Florida, right?

Well learn something everyday. just got in from swaping all my pistons around, should of left them alone. Oh well it'll stay this way till it needs to come apart again.

This is why 12,000 dollar engines are bought,not built.Basic auto shop,and some engine building skillls are to be learned,not bought.

This is why 12,000 dollar engines are bought,not built.Basic auto shop,and some engine building skillls are to be learned,not bought.

Exactly. Don Dulmage wrote about it. In fact, In "Old Reliable" he wrote that reversing stock pistons made 14 HP on the dyno compared to installing them forward with NO other changes. He even said himself that he was skeptical but after that, he was convinced. I am too. I mean I look at it this way. If there was no gain, why are all performance pistons made with no pin offset? You just cannot tell some people anything.

-
Back