Seals for my 62 Valiant 2 door

-

gsoco

gsoco
Reaction score
Help please. I am trying to find correct window channels / seals for my 62 Valiant 2 door. I want to be sure I find the proper part....My car has a door post...from what I can tell this model is a "hardtop" not a sedan...true? Also, recommended sources for them would be a help too. Thanks for the help.:thumbsup::thankyou:
Jason

If that's your car in your avatar (the white one with the shiny wheels) then it does not have a door post. The 2-door sedans (with door post) look like this. The 2-door hardtops (without door post) look like this.

You will probably find what you need from Gary Goers as listed here.

If that's your car in your avatar (the white one with the shiny wheels) then it does not have a door post. The 2-door sedans (with door post) look like this. The 2-door hardtops (without door post) look like this.

You will probably find what you need from Gary Goers as listed here.
Thanks, the AVATAR is what my car will (hopefully) look like when done... But it does look like the blue version you sent..mine is the picture below...Thanks for the help!

P1000784.JPG

If you can't find the seals you want domestically, try Rare Spares of Australia. I'm pretty sure they'e got re-popped ones. At least they had them in 2003, when I built my V-200.

There is wide availability of '60-'62 Valiant parts in Australia, but all for 4-doors as there were no 2-door '60-'62 Valiants in Australia.

Not to contradict you, Dan, but haven't you seen those pictures online of Aussie RV-1s and RV-2s with their characteristic steel windshield visors cruising around? Some of those were 2-door cars. I seriously suspect that some 2-door cars made their way down under; either that or there seem to be a helluva lotta 2-door conversions of RV cars down there. Maybe there aren't enough of them to get Rare Spares to re-pop 2-door side window seals, though. Anyway, of course the 4-door front and rear seals will work OK.

Not to contradict you, Dan, but haven't you seen those pictures online of Aussie RV-1s and RV-2s with their characteristic steel windshield visors cruising around? Some of those were 2-door cars. I seriously suspect that some 2-door cars made their way down under; either that or there seem to be a helluva lotta 2-door conversions of RV cars down there. Maybe there aren't enough of them to get Rare Spares to re-pop 2-door side window seals, though. Anyway, of course the 4-door front and rear seals will work OK.
Thanks for the info. I have emailed their website. But no reply as of yet....

Not to contradict you, Dan, but haven't you seen those pictures online of Aussie RV-1s and RV-2s

RV1: 1961 Valiant, no matter what country it was first sold in. That was the model designation in the US and Canada, but not many people knew it because we called them "1961 Valiants". In Australia where the model year wasn't a thing, they were known as "RV1" or "R-series" Valiants, and they weren't sold in Australia 'til 1962. There were 1,008 RV1 Valiants sold new in Australia—all of them 4-door sedans.

There is nothing such as an "RV2" Valiant. Such a car would have been a 1961 Valiant with a V8 engine, and no such car was built. You're thinking of the SV1, which is the model designation for a 1962 Valiant. Called a '62 Valiant here, called an "SV1" or "S-series" in Australia, where there were 10,009 sold—all 4-door sedans.

with their characteristic steel windshield visors

The exterior sunshade was an accessory item, not factory equipment.

Some of those were 2-door cars

Nope. The 4-door sedan was the only body style of RV1 or SV1 Valiant available in Australia. Wagons were added in '63 with the AP5 model, and "Utes" (Coupe Utility, car-based pickup truck) were added in '65 with the AP6 model. Australia didn't get 2-door Valiants until the 1968 VF model.

It's been over half a century since the 1962 Valiants were new; in that time a few 2-doors and wagons have been privately imported to Australia. And yes, a fair percentage of those private imports were converted to right-hand drive. Laws used to require it throughout Australia, and so an industry sprang up, doing cars much more difficult and complicated to convert to RHD than a '60-'62 Valiant or Lancer. Nowtimes at least some Australian states and territories permit LH-drive cars if they're over a certain number of years old.

Anyway, of course the 4-door front and rear seals will work OK.

Maybe, but are you prepared to bet money on it? I wouldn't, not without looking in the FPC first. Differently-shaped windows tend to need differently-shaped seals.

Last edited:
Dan, I am afraid that you are entirely too argumentative, and it just gets old after awhile. Even Wikipedia lists the early Aussie Valiants as RV1 and RV2, and that is how I have always known them, but you've got to take issue with the accepted nomenclature!

And I've already stated that I have installed Aussie window rubber in my '62 U.S. V-200, and that it fits fine, but you're telling me it won't fit. Man, I'm really tired of arguing with you. I think you're really insecure for some reason, and trying to deal with an insecure person is a "no win" situation.

Dan, I am afraid that you are entirely too argumentative

That's fine. Don't like my posts? Don't read 'em. Don't wanna see my posts? Block me; problem solved. I got nothin' personal against you. When inaccurate information is put up, and I know how to correct it, I'm sometimes gonna.

Even Wikipedia lists the early Aussie Valiants as RV1 and RV2,

Every last reliable source, including Chrysler Australia Limited's own literature, says what I said the case is. There is nothing such as an RV2 Valiant. And since you mention it, that's also what Wikipedia actually says (also here and here): RV1 and SV1, not RV1 and RV2 (and no, it's not 'cause I put it there LOL). Google agrees, too, see here and here and then here's what happens when we ask Google to show us a search for RV2 Valiant without results that include RV1 (you may be confusing two memories; the two models of Chrysler 2-cylinder air conditioning compressor are V2 and RV2).

that is how I have always known them

It's possible to hold a mistaken belief for many years before stumbling on the actual facts. We've all done it, at least with song lyrics, otherwise sites like this wouldn't exist.

Back to Valiants: you needn't believe me. Go see what the Aussies who fuss over these cars say. You can also read reliable sources yourself, and learn what you didn't know before. I've attached two of them for you: the first bunch of pages from Chrysler Australia's factory parts cattledog for the R through VF ('62-'69) Valiants plus a random page showing the various models (RV1, SV1, AP5, AP6, VC, VE, VF) across the top, and a selection of pages from "The Valiant Book", an excellent and comprehensive history of the Valiant in Australia. Y'welcome.

Now, what's more likely, you crossed up your info or I went to the trouble to design, typeset, print, scan, and PDF these pages just in case someday someone came along and said something that could be disproven with my hard work? C'mon. :)

but you've got to take issue with the accepted nomenclature!

The nomenclature you're using isn't "accepted", it's mistaken. What we're talking about is not complicated. It's laid out in the front of every factory service manual and every factory parts catalog, it's not special esoteric knowledge; you don't gotta have a secret password or anything, LOL—just see attached from the '61 and '62 FPCs. The first instance of a "V2" model was "VV2", the new-for-1964 V8 Valiant (I've attached the same page from the '64 FPC, too).

And I've already stated that I have installed Aussie window rubber in my '62 U.S. V-200, and that it fits fine

Excellent. What bodystyle is your car?

but you're telling me it won't fit

I didn't say it won't fit. I said check the FPC first before fitting a seal made for one bodystyle on a different bodystyle.

I'm really tired of arguing with you.

And yet…here we are, eh!
drinkup.gif

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 19.27.06.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 19.27.21.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 23.52.10.jpg

Attachments

• Oz.pdf
    554.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Oz2s1.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 188
  • Oz2s2a.pdf